Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

What to do with a C6 Z06 for week????

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011 | 04:47 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

Talking What to do with a C6 Z06 for week????

Courtesy of GM. Retardedly fast, brakes that can stop the earth from rotating, surprisingly compliant ride, and the engine is an auditory symphony of coordinated shotgun blasts. Decent for daily commute duties however.

Makes me think a lot harder about shoehorning an LS motor into my 968. Might do a bit more research into this. I wonder how reliable peoples' hybrids have been in a mild state of tune?
Old 04-05-2011 | 05:32 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by macadamianut
What to do with a C6 Z06 for week????
Drive the **** out of it! Do you even have to ask?

Why is GM lending you a Z06, you lucky bastard?
Old 04-05-2011 | 06:17 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

I guess I was thinking more specific. Rum-running comes to mind...

I'm part of the Design team at GM. They have a newish program to let you "show your neighbors what you make." Its designed to show that GM doesn't "make them like they used to", thankfully. It is a sales tool. I just got lucky in that when it said Corvette Manual transmission, it wound up being the Z06 Carbon with all the ZR1 goodies on it, (sans supercharger.) Although, I am frightened to think of a car faster than this.

This is by far the fastest f#$%ing car I have ever driven. The more I drive it and explore the envelope, the more I am amazed. Pulled the fuse for the electric exhaust baffle....awesome!!! Monster crackle on decel.

Everyone I've shown it to has perma-grin and giggles like a schoolgirl.

I'd love to have four more cylinders in my 968, I just am torn as to whether I will be bastardizing my nice P-car.
Old 04-05-2011 | 06:29 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Can you take it out to Gingerman on April 15th ?

http://www.gingermanraceway.com/

Thats what I would do...
Old 04-05-2011 | 06:45 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

I wish someone loaned me a Z06 to fool around with and show the neighbors. I had the pleasure, as passenger, to get a couple of spirited laps around Mosport in a Z06. A couple of things stand out. Tires get amazing adhesion and corners want your eyes to spill out your ears. Braking makes you glad you have glasses on to keep them from popping out the front. Going up the back straight my eyes settled in the back of my head all the way through the gears. It really isn't fun doing that as a passenger and I look forward to taking my 968 on that trip. Oh BTW it has an LS1 built up to Z06 specs. Should be ready for the big noise in a month. Front springs getting sourced so it'll drop 1.5".

Last edited by JimV8; 02-08-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-05-2011 | 07:14 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

I guess I was thinking more specific. Rum-running comes to mind...
Take it to every road course and dragstrip you can think of. Find out who's running autocrosses in your area and do that. Find an abandoned airstrip and do some rolling-start miles. Rum running? Sure, why not, smuggle some Canadian whiskey down the back roads deep in the night!

I'm part of the Design team at GM. They have a newish program to let you "show your neighbors what you make." Its designed to show that GM doesn't "make them like they used to", thankfully. It is a sales tool. I just got lucky in that when it said Corvette Manual transmission, it wound up being the Z06 Carbon with all the ZR1 goodies on it, (sans supercharger.) Although, I am frightened to think of a car faster than this.

This is by far the fastest f#$%ing car I have ever driven. The more I drive it and explore the envelope, the more I am amazed. Pulled the fuse for the electric exhaust baffle....awesome!!! Monster crackle on decel.
I hate you so much right now!

I'd love to have four more cylinders in my 968, I just am torn as to whether I will be bastardizing my nice P-car.
I strongly believe that every 968 manual coupe deserves forced induction, or a bigger engine. I say do it!

Originally Posted by jim 7
It really isn't fun doing that as a passenger
You must not like roller coasters much, huh?

Originally Posted by jim 7
Oh BTW it has an LS1 built up to Z06 specs. Should be ready for the big noise in a month. Front springs getting sourced so it'll drop 1.5".
Very cool!

You know I don't usually like Turbo wheels much, but...in black, matching the car...WOW. Can't wait to see it put together.
Old 04-05-2011 | 08:30 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Courtesy of GM.
Wow, that is a great loaner car!
Old 04-05-2011 | 11:09 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by steve g
Can you take it out to Gingerman on April 15th
Heck - you don't even need to drive across the state; there's an open track day at Waterford on the 17th.
Old 04-06-2011 | 12:06 AM
rickb20
Pro

Default what do they think?

Just curious, what do they think of you driving non-GM products (sig says Subaru and 968).

Old 04-06-2011 | 09:36 AM
Chubs_McFunn
Advanced

If you have a kid: Pick them up from school, and do a smokey burn-out as you leave.

If you have a wife: Pick her up from work, and do a smokey burn-out as you leave.

If you have a girl-friend: Take her to a nice restaurant, valet the car, and after a good meal, do a smokey burn-out as you leave. **When you get home, tell your wife you were out driving the car. It's for work. They want a detailed review, and NO, you don't have a girl-friend.**

**Only applies if you're married.**
Old 04-06-2011 | 10:09 AM
macadamianut
Instructor

Originally Posted by jpk
Heck - you don't even need to drive across the state; there's an open track day at Waterford on the 17th.
With great regret, I have to return the car Friday morning.

I can check off the wife/smokey burnout option. Did that one. Now she's onboard with the LS conversion.

I can't imagine GM "likes" it per say. I own 16, and 18 year-old somewhat collectable cars so I don't think it is a competition thing. I would't dream of running out and buying an M5 over a CTS-V, I think I'd hear about that decision. I will never have enough money to have that problem though.

Very interesting to drive in the rain. Not bad per say, sort of like having a bullet lodged in your spine...full range of motion right now, but make one small move in the wrong direction and ......

Quick Reply: What to do with a C6 Z06 for week????