Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Gas cap problem... I hope.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 02:32 PM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I can now confirm that the vent line between tank and carbon canister should be open both ways. Shut off valve was ok but the breath line from shut off valve to carbon canister was pinched between fuel tank and body of the car. I managed to move it so the air can now escape when needed.

I left the carbon canister connected to the venting system but capped the connection from carbon canister to intake. Hopefully no more fuel smell in the cabin.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:47 PM
Jaap968
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I assume you had the interior panel, covering the filler tube and valve, off for inspection? I had a look underneath the car and indeed the vent line seems prone to getting pinched the way it is routed between the tank and body.

Jaap
Old 04-23-2011, 04:03 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Yes, everything is under that sheet metal cover where the fuel filler neck is. It's actually very easy to get into.

I'll let you all know how it works once I get to drive the car.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:44 PM
JarmoL
Racer

Removed the fuel sender assembly today.. and it was bent. No signs of crash damage or anything like that near the fuel tank. Maybe it's because of the faulty breath line and excessive vacuum in the tank?

I fixed it the best I could.. have to drive it and then see if it needs to be replaced.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:45 AM
Jaap968
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JarmoL
I can now confirm that the vent line between tank and carbon canister should be open both ways. Shut off valve was ok but the breath line from shut off valve to carbon canister was pinched between fuel tank and body of the car. I managed to move it so the air can now escape when needed.

I left the carbon canister connected to the venting system but capped the connection from carbon canister to intake. Hopefully no more fuel smell in the cabin.
I finally had some time to investigate further and removed the interior panel, which was not fun due to all the glue and constant feeling I might damage something expensive. Just as Jarmo I found that the vent line was stuck and pinched between the tank and car body. When the car was cold it would still let air through but once warm it would be completely blocked. Maybe the tank or ? expands a little when warm. Was able to pry the vent line out between the tank and body and now lets air through again. Just wondering what has caused this. Maybe the tank has shifted a little or the vent line due to age has shrunk a little making the bend a little tight?

Quick Reply: Gas cap problem... I hope.