968 Forum 1992-1995

Head Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 12:31 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Head Performance?

Hi. I have a 968 engine that is in peices. While I have it appart, are there any worthwhile performance increases to be had by modifying the head?
Old 05-31-2001, 05:00 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
The 968 combustion chamber (geometry)is considered to be extremely good from the factory.

I don't think there's much to be had for cheap on that head. So perhaps some mild port (matching) and polishing would be where I'd stop for an engine that's going to stay near stock. Ofcourse you could consider swapping valve springs, etc.
Ahmet
Old 06-10-2001, 03:18 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up

Hey Tabor,

Please let me know if you find any horses hiding in that motor. I'm gonna be getting my 968 motor soon and I'll be in the same spot your in. Good luck

Roberto

944/968?
Old 06-16-2001, 07:45 PM
Clark Hamerly
5th Gear

Hi Tabor,
Having just bought a 968 and being a old track guy I also am looking for more horses - but my motor isn't apart.
Here is my suggestion - call Michael Stinson at Pacific Performance in Redwood City, Ca - He is a one man shop and the absolute foremost Porsche head man in the country.
As one other post said -there may not be much left to do with the combustion chamber - but 40 thousandths shaved would definitely help by steping up compression. Ask Mike he will not BS you.
The other thing you may want to ask him is about your cams being ground. Mike is in the back half of the same building as Elgin cams. Dema Elgin has forgotten more about cams than anyone else in the country ever knew. They are both freindly and I am sure you can pick up the most solid advice in the country.
Mike's telephone # is 650 361-8636. Pacific Performance' website is not up yet.
You can go to the Elgin website WWW.Elgin cams.com.
If you talk with Mike tell him I said Hi.
Hope this helps - Happy Motoring from The Burgh,
Clark Hamerly

Quick Reply: Head Performance?