Coral Red Metallic 968 pics..?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 09:07 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Terry:

Wow - you were able to look up the component colors. That's really interesting.

I am in desperate need of a small amount of touch-up paint. If you have access to the paints could I purchase a small amount to fix some rock chips in my hood and along the rear quarter panels?

I would have emailed you, but I don't see an address in your profile.

Thanks
Jeff
Old 06-19-2003, 02:36 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
JBH, sure thing....

What you do in the DuPont line of base/clear paints called 'Chromabase' is look up the year, factory paint #, then it has the DuPont reference # there as well. You then pull the appropriate microfiche card and look up the color on the viewer. Sometimes there are different shades, depending at what plant the car was painted at called 'variables'. In American autos, this can be a problem because say and S10 pickup could come from several different plants. Not a problem for Porsches, thus this color has NO variables.

There are 7 shades of sealer coat, ranging from white to black and CRM takes the shade Vs4 which is 50-50 mix of black and white, making the base sealer a 'light gray'.
People underestimate this step because each base shade (before paint coat) really affects the brilliance of the final product. You can understand surely, with the transparency of some paints that the final outcome will be affected greatly if you used a black sealer when the paint shade calls for white....

Here's my email, I'll send you enough for touchups and a small applicator brush....
It'll already be diluted with reducer so it will dry properly so don't be fooled by the 'thinned' look....It has indefinite 'pot life' since it's evaporative not a chemical reaction for drying.

944t@bellsouth.net

Terry S
Old 06-21-2003, 08:45 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I get it - the base/sealer coat is what I know as the the primer. I guess I always thought sealer was the final "clearcoat" Bear with me...I'm learning about paints.

Looking at the base coat where I have stone chips, it looks more creme than light grey, but that my be the overhead fluorescent lights.

You are correct - I would never imagine the base coat would have much impact on the brilliance of the paint, only because I thought the paint coat was several layers. Enough layers that the sealer coat would never appear. Do you know how many layers of each (sealer, paint, and clearcoat) are applied by the factory?

How does factory paint from Porsche differ from Ferrari for example?

Quick Reply: Coral Red Metallic 968 pics..?