Default Turbo RS Centrelock Hubs

No association, might be of interest to someone over here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Porsche-968-tu...item35afeaa230

JP
Old 02-16-2011, 07:01 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JP - The ebayer of the hubs is a good friend called Paul whom used to be the owner of "Bubbles" ... I currently have his other centerlock side sat on my desk after having been kindly lent to us by Paul so we can reproduce:

A really nice Gent I can vouch for as very genuine
Old 02-16-2011, 11:08 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by future
I currently have his other centerlock side sat on my desk after having been kindly lent to us by Paul so we can reproduce
Yaaaaay!

I've been mumbling about a 968 center lock conversion for a while, I didn't even realize that the TRS had them...how much do you think your repros will retail for?

Now I have to start thinking about actually finding centerlock wheels to fit...is it a standard fitment for all centerlocks, or is it a Porsche proprietary fitment? Or worse, does Porsche have more than one proprietary fitment (making the current generation of centerlocks incompatible)?
Old 02-17-2011, 06:59 PM
future
Banned

Yaaaaay!

I've been mumbling about a 968 center lock conversion for a while, I didn't even realize that the TRS had them...how much do you think your repros will retail for?

Now I have to start thinking about actually finding centerlock wheels to fit...is it a standard fitment for all centerlocks, or is it a Porsche proprietary fitment? Or worse, does Porsche have more than one proprietary fitment (making the current generation of centerlocks incompatible)?
Yes only the Turbo RS had the centrelock hubs, the Turbo S were standard.

I do not have any idea on costs yet mainly because the spindles also need to be manufactured of which Paul does not have however thanks to Paul he has put us in direct contact with the new owner of his old Turbo RS (Bubbles) whom is allowing us to reproduce any product from the car ... Yep the Strut Brace will be the very first

Best regards,
Mark
Old 02-17-2011, 07:55 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

The front spindles are stock M030 pieces. There is a screw on cover (reason for the threads where the cap would usually fit) with the centerlock bolt integral to it.

Would truly love to see the strut brace become available!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 PM
future
Banned

The front spindles are stock M030 pieces. There is a screw on cover (reason for the threads where the cap would usually fit) with the centerlock bolt integral to it.

Would truly love to see the strut brace become available!
Hi Julian

Many thanks for the info and I will look into this tomorrow and strip down an MO30 The bearing does appear to be the same but again I need to look into this further and then we next need to work on the rears.

Once Beni goes to literally strip down "Bubble" courtesy of the current owner then we will take loads of pics and start a new thread.

We will also make a direct copy of the IC under hood vent for those wanting to do a full Turbo RS tribute conversation in the future but first will be the strut brace which is most exciting to use.

This Saturday coming I will be taking a mould of a factory IC bumper vent again thanks to Paul as he has a new factory OEM Turbo RS bumper. It transpires that Porsche simply used a factory front bumper PU and moulded in the larger IC front vent made from FRP. I will take all measurements from his bumper and create a template to allow anybody interested to cut and shut in the exact same place. Again I will promise to detail this in a separate thread

Best regards,
Mark
Old 02-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here you go!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:23 PM
future
Banned

Julian, your the man mate

Can I ask where you got that pic from?

Best regards,
Mark

P.S. responding to your PM shortly
Old 02-17-2011, 09:33 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Why, from my camera of course! Here are rear shots: The zinc chromate piece is in common with the 964/993 series centerlocks, the flange and bolt are unique to the 944/968 platform.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:41 PM
future
Banned

The zinc chromate piece is in common with the 964/993 series centerlocks, the flange and bolt are unique to the 944/968 platform.
Hi Julian

Firstly thanks so much for your PM and offer which I have just responded to

Yes this is exactly what I have been informed reference the 964/993 and as promised, as soon as I have spoken with Beni in the morning I will respond back to you in detail.

Best regards,
Mark & Beni
Old 02-18-2011, 04:35 PM
frogisland
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark, some interesting projects you undertake!

I have spoke to Paul a couple of times some time in the past, pleasnat bloke. Also quite sure i had a good look around 'Bubbles' at Silverstone, unfortunately on the back of a low loader possibly from a small problem and no spares. Mighteven have some photos somewhere.

JP

p.s. i'm based in Cheshire also.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Besides speed in changing tires in a race, is there a performance advantage on the street? Are the hubs and or wheels able to be lighter? Can you make a more precise alignment with centerlock wheels?
Old 02-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

C'mon don't you think they're cool enough by themselves?

Seriously, they're for race cars. But, long before Karl made his front hubs, Motorsports was making these billet pieces--I look for them to be up to the task (of racing). I don't think they will help with anything but faster tire changes, and although I didn't do comparative weights, don't think we're talking pounds but maybe a few ounces lighter (big center bolt + big nut + drive pins probably the same as lug nuts + studs). One thing won't happen: the hub caps won't sneak out (the bolt/cover combo is torqued to a million, er, 550 Nm. I wouldn't thing the alignment would be different.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:29 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

So to do this conversion, we'd need M030 spindles, these D9 TRS hubs, that zinc chromate thing...what about that big black bolt? Are you guys at D9 going to reproduce that as well, or do we have to source that separately?

Also, what wheels are compatible?
Old 02-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

For all four corners you'd need:

Two each front hub & rear hub/drive flange
Twenty drive pins and retaining bolts (mount where wheel studs would--they fit closely into the wheel)
Two each front hubcap/bolt (that's what gives the front the centerlock bolt)
Two each rear center bolt
Two each locking cone (the zinc chromate thing--it holds the center bolt from loosening after it's torqued and serves to center the wheel as you're shoving it on)
Two snap rings to hold the cone in position
Four pressure washers (mount on the wheel)
Four nuts for the center bolts--look like the rear axle nuts with an integrated washer and no crimp
Four safety pins (to retain the wheels in the event)

All that's now available from Weissach are the cones/snap rings/nuts/pins: they overlap with the 964/993 style centerlocks. Everything else is specific to the 944/968 series and long gone. That's why it's so great that D9 would be willing to look at reproducing these parts.

Quick Reply: Turbo RS Centrelock Hubs