Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Brake Cooling Ducts

Old 03-25-2003, 12:26 AM
H Dog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 968 Brake Cooling Ducts

I've heard that the 968 came with an improved brake cooling duct system as standard as compared to the 944 Turbo.

The 944 T has a 9" wide chute which is mounted vertically, so that air coming through the brake cooling ducts is deflected onto the rotors.

Apparently the 968 does this one better. Does anyone out there have a photo of this system they can send me, or any idea if this system can be adapted to the 944 Turbo? I'm going to be doing some DEs in this car, and I haven't had the chance to upgrade to Big Reds, so I'm looking for something fairly inexpensive yet still effective.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:42 PM
jim968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HDog, the 968 uses two plastic parts per side, one mounted to the a-arm and one mounted to the side of the strut down low. The lower part hangs below the a-arm and picks up air from under the car, diverting it up to the upper piece, which sends it into the back of the center of the rotor.

To adapt this to a 944 you'd have to either A) install 968 a-arms & struts to get the mounting bosses (cast onto the a-arm) and brackets (welded to the strut), or B) finagle a way to fabricate something similar.

The 968 a-arm has a ~1.5" x 2" boss cast onto the front edge (sticks out) with an attachment hole. This is about even with the sway bar hole. There's also a small boss on top out near the ball joint socket (within the profile of the original part, just thickened) with the other mounting hole for the lower scoop piece.

There are sheet-meatl brackets on the lower part of the strut housing; haven't looked at 'em for a while, so I don't recall the configuration exactly, but ISTR that there are also two mountig points for that part as well.

I'll see if I can turn up some photos later in the week.

Jim, ""If the enemy is in range, so are you."
Old 03-26-2003, 10:45 AM
Brian Morris
Instructor

Diversified Cryogenics has a "kit" to install the 968 scoops on a 951. This is just the 968 plastic parts plus a couple of sheet metal brackets that they've made to attach the lower scoop to your A-arm. It's something like $150 - you can buy the parts from a dealer and make your own brackets for cheaper but if you want something simple and bolt-on this will do it.

<a href="http://www.diversifiedcryogenics.com" target="_blank">www.diversifiedcryogenics.com</a>

--Brian Morris
89 951
Old 03-28-2003, 12:33 PM
GaryK
Racer

The brake cooling kit from OG Racing works much better than any combination of deflectors. I've got in on my '89 944T, but am not sure what it would take to adapt it to the 968.
<a href="http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/home.asp?categ=21" target="_blank">Brake Cooling Kit</a>

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 968 Brake Cooling Ducts