Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

How to keep 968 running cool in race conditions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 12:13 PM
UnderDog
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face How to keep 968 running cool in race conditions?

Hi gang,

I just ran my first POC event at Streets of Willow three weeks ago in my '95 968 6spd coupe. It went well, but my "!" light was coming on and my temp needle was creeping into the red. I ran the aux fan AND blasted the heater, but this only helped temporarily. I even went so far as to gear higher when possible to keep the rev's lower until my session was done. The outside temp was 95-100 degrees, so maybe this is unavoidable? John at Black Forest service seemed to think this was somewhat unusual, but they couldn't find anything abnormal with the car. Can anyone help with this? Thanks!
Old 06-28-2001, 04:17 PM
Tabor
Drifting

1. As engines age crap builds up in thier coolant passages. You can buy coolant system flush kits to help this. The only way to completely eliminate it is to take the engine out and dissasemble it.

2. Crap builds up in the radiator. This is usually more of a problem than in the collant passages. Buy a new radiator, they aren't much.

3. The higher the anit-freeze to water ratio, the worse the cooling. Use the lowest ratio you can get away with without risking the engine.

4. Bleed the coolant system!!!. It is a big problem on our cars. 95% are not bled propperly.

5. Make sure to flush your coolant every 2 years to prevent crap build up (see #1).
Old 06-28-2001, 10:13 PM
senn
8th Gear

If the cooling system is fine....may be it is other problem metioned in Excellent magazin in Dec 96'. The article on showroom stock racing 968(running a stock motor) develop over heating problem. I do not remember the fix....I thing it require some head work..the article have the exact fix recommond by PMNA. Hope this will help
Good Luck
Fred
Old 06-28-2001, 10:50 PM
UnderDog
5th Gear

Thanks. I did all these things. Nothing clear as a solution in sight. The suggestion below yours is intriguing. I'll have to hunt that down and see what the deal is.
Old 06-29-2001, 02:37 PM
Tabor
Drifting

A larger external oil cooler would probably help.

Quick Reply: How to keep 968 running cool in race conditions?