Tank issues (need help)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:35 PM
GIANNIS HOUD
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tank issues (need help)

Hi all,
I face a strange issue since last summer. At the beginning a smell from the trunk was coming to passenger department, very bad specially during hot days. I found that the fuel sender was cracked. Simultaneously when the problem with the smell started the car during high rev was starved, I couldn't drive more than 200 km/h. When I took it out from the tank I saw that the sender was bended! I didn't realize why this happened, I thought it was matter of oldness. I bought a new one and when I put it the smell disappeared and the car started to drive as it was normally! Few days ago the car started to smell again and to decrease the performance again. I went to the trunk and I found that the fuel sender was bended again I took all the fuel out and I tried to see inside. I found that at the bottom there was a plastic which keeps the fuel sender vertically and it was out of its place! Moreover the gas tank was bended from one side (not fro the bottom due to a hit) more like due to vacuum.

My questions are:
1. Is there any open, except the one of the fuel sender, to put the plastic part at the bottom of the tank at its correct place?
2. How the tank takes breath when the car works to avoid the vacuum issue? if it is blocked how I could fix it?
3. How I could fix the bended fuel tank?

Thanks in advance,
regards
Giannis
Old 02-13-2011, 02:19 PM
wilhelm
Advanced

I might be having the same issues, looks like my tank is bent from vacuum pressure too. I've checked most of the hoses from the fuel sender, filler neck, and fuel pump and they all look fine. My fuel pump died and the replacement only lasted 3 days before it died. I replaced the fuel filter and fuel screen inside the tank before the pumps died.

Did you ever find your problem?
Old 02-15-2011, 05:10 PM
GIANNIS HOUD
6th Gear

Unfortunately not,
I have found that the charcoal canister was full of fuel and the small black ***** inside (carbons?) were run out from the bottom and where in the line that goes back to the air (is written "luft") over the fuel tank.
Also I have checked almost all the lines and they are free.
Nothing so far, I am looking for any help.
Regards Angelos
Old 02-22-2011, 03:19 AM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You Gents have something weird going on with the gas tank venting system. Angelos, you need to replace the Charcoal Canister if it is full of fuel as all it is supposed to have is fuel fumes. The charcoal neutralizes the fuel fumes. Maybe some of the charcoal ***** are blocking the return line to the tank and can be blown out with compressed air.

Cheers,
Larry

Quick Reply: Tank issues (need help)