968 Forum 1992-1995

NACA hood vent functionality on T S and T RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 11:14 AM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Yes, belly pans are critical on these cars, the louvers help to draw air out and keep air from getting pushed up into the engine and creating a high pressure zone. There have been a number of posts to this regard over the years.
In my case, I think the radiator air was being pushed out from the opening between the radiator and the engine. This works great for engine cooling, but not so well for general cooling of the engine bay. No I have to run some tests to see if the engine cooling, which was excellent without belly pans, has suffered from installing the pans.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:27 PM
oreana123
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I am new here so please be gentle. The reason for the design of the naca vent, was to find a way to vent aircraft fuel tanks without needing a de-icing system to keep the vent clear. If one looks at the naca vent and imagines the flow of air past it, one can see that heavier water droplets or snowflakes will "go on by", but the vent will do its job and allow the pressure or vacuum over the fuel to equalize to the ambient pressure. If one were looking for a vent to create the most airflow, the naca vent is not the one!

Why did Porsche use this vent in this spot? I would be thinking along the lines of pressure equalization above and below the hood. John S
Old 09-22-2010, 05:02 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

John, welcome to Rennlist!
Old 09-22-2010, 12:31 PM
oreana123
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Arash. I am currently working out a buy of a 94 Cab. I have read the more than 100 back pages of this forum, opening up important threads that deal with maintenance repair reliability. The 968 seems to be an auto I can work on with my personal skillset. In truth, I started out looking at Mercedes Benz slk 230 models, but those cars have a lot of mtx issues. And not as rare as the 968.

i

Quick Reply: NACA hood vent functionality on T S and T RS