968 Forum 1992-1995

Re-connecting Cabrio trunk release cable

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 08:51 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re-connecting Cabrio trunk release cable

Finally back on the forum after almost 2 months of moving related madness. Decided to take our 968 cab out for a spin and the trunk wouldn't open.

What I have checked so far:
- Key does not turn tumbler (this happened infrequently before)
- Manually engaging microswitch on near the key tumbler does not activate trunk release
- Switch in passenger compartment does not activate trunk release
- Trunk release will operate when manually disengaged
- All fuses associated with the trunk release are in good condition

We *never* had a problem with the switch in the passenger compartment before. I checked the bowden cable to the electric motor and it seemed fine. But here's my current issue:

When I checked the "other" bowden cable, listed as "bowden cable, manual" in the PET, it was not connected to anything. When I pulled the bowden cable, it disengaged the trunk latch. Is this a factory designed fail safe in case the trunk release fails?

I'm a loss as to what to do next. I'd rather do some more detective work before I just start replacing components, but I don't know what to check now. Anyone that has worked this problem before, help!!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:12 AM
PennyWise
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes.... in the RHD ROW cars, our battery is in the truck. If the power goes we cannot get to the battery, hence the 'other' cable.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:57 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Wonderful... at least something in my trunk release system works.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:14 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Are there any wear items in the lock tumbler that would cause it to stop working? For whatever reason, the lock will *not* turn, even though I have lubed it. I'm an amateur locksmith at best, but I'm halfway tempted to pick the lock to see if it's got sticking pins.

Also, is there a way to check the switch in the passenger compartment with a voltmeter? I couldn't find any troubleshooting in the FSM.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:17 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Now I'm truly at a loss.

Pulled the rear trunk lock, turns out the key was worn to the point that the lock pins wouldn't completely disengage. Switching to the spare key cured that problem.

Removed and bench tested the trunk release motor, works just fine.

Switch in the passenger compartment still doesn't work, I've checked and replaced the fuses (none of them were bad, just trying to see if it worked) associated with the power top and trunk release.

If the switch in the passenger compartment fails, will this cause the entire system to not work? I really have no idea what else to check to make this work.

Quick Reply: Re-connecting Cabrio trunk release cable