968 Forum 1992-1995

diagnosing brake judder

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 09:46 AM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default diagnosing brake judder

hey I could use a hand chasing a persistent brake judder. thinking ( due to low speed steering wheel wander ) maybe a bent wheel or bent front stub axle, judder under moderate braking has survived pretty comprehensive brake re-build and then rotor re-surfacing. maybe wheel bearing ? how best to diagnose something like that ? thanks in advance... Donn

ps - 93 coupe has M030 sways, club sport front springs, lots of negative camber, stock brakes with pelican cool carbon pads, mostly road and occasional driver ed car...
Old 07-29-2010, 04:36 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

You can't know for certain if the wheels are bent until they're put on a balancer, so try that. But if it's only during braking I don't think it's a bent wheel.

It could be upper strut mounts. Or even control arm bushings but I'd start with looking at the strut mounts.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:50 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ft wheel bearing(s) possibly; also you need to check your hubs & spindels. On my car, there was a problem with the after market M030 hubs that was causing the ABS sensor to activate resulting in lots of "chatter". Took a while to diagnose too.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:24 AM
blue44
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks, I have a dial indicator with magnetic base coming, hopefully it will help figure out which wheel to look at. Thinking I might pull the abs fuse and do some brake tests, too... Donn

Quick Reply: diagnosing brake judder