Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Car Stereo - no sound from speakers...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:26 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Stereo - no sound from speakers...

Hi guys need some help troubleshooting a problem with a car I purchased. (It's a '93 968) I am by no means an expert at car stereo issues.

I put the deck on the mount, it turns on - all lights are working. I switch to disc, and insert a normal CD. It shows that it's playing, volume is up to about 30, but I have no sound!

I opened the glove box and there are two components - one has a bunch of equalizers and it's turned on and lighted up. The other is some switch, and it's turned on also. I played around with the switches, but again no sound.

I looked in the trunk, and there is an amp, and sub woofer...not sure if there is a switch there that I need to check?

Any help is appreciated. Sorry for the lack of knowledge here on car stereo's...
Old 07-27-2010, 08:28 AM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a custom stereo of some kind and would be best off taking it to a car stereo shop near you. Maybe the installing shop left receipts or a sticker for you to reference.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:29 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Yeah I have no idea what's going on. I called the stereo shop they said it could be a fuse or maybe the speakers have blown. Sometimes when one speaker is not working, by default the stereo turns off all of them...I'll update the forum once I find out Friday...
Old 07-29-2010, 04:34 PM
ryan@usaimage.com
Instructor

Sounds like the preamp out cord is not connected to the power amp. This would allow everything to light up and look like it works, but no sound. Do you see a pair of RCA phono plugs going into the back of the head unit? Are they plugged into the power amp or check the lines between the EQ in the glove-box and the next unit. Just a thought...
Old 08-13-2010, 03:25 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

I went to an audio shop, and the fuse that was connected to the battery was blown. The tech replaced it, and all the speakers work now with exception to the driver side...I'm going to have to get those replaced. Does anyone know where I can find the stock 968 driver side door speaker?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 PM
clydehifi
1st Gear

you said the cd doesn't make any sound how about the am-fm. If you can post some pictures of the equipment in the glove box
Old 08-13-2010, 09:27 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Check the amps for a balance control or a gain on the individual channels. It could be possible that the amp is only feeding power to the passengers side. It is also possible that the wiring between the amp and the driver's speaker is compromised.

If you have no sound coming from the woofer or the tweeter, I'd suspect the wiring to the crossover is bad. The crossovers are located in the door below the armrest towards the back of the pod. The pods the woofer(s) and crossover are inside can be removed by removing a series of screws along the bottom and front edge of the pod. The outer two wires on the connector to the crossover are the leads from the head unit/amp.

As far as replacements go, we would need to know which stereo you have first. Do you have a large woofer towards the front of the door? Are there two smaller woofers inside the pod beneath the arm rest? An easier method may be to check your option codes in the trunk. 494 is the amplifier package.

Quick Reply: Car Stereo - no sound from speakers...