Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Crank scraper, rod bearings, main bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:48 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Crank scraper, rod bearings, main bearings?

I keep adding things to my to-do list...

I'm thinking about adding a crank scraper. Looking at the Ishihara-Johnson scrapers...is there any reason to believe that the Teflon scraper (running at a claimed clearance of 0.001"-0.005") is significantly or measurably better than the regular steel scraper? It looks and sounds "cool", but I don't really see the point in paying 2.5 times the price if it's not going to actually be any better.

Unless I misunderstand, I have to pull half of the bolts in the main bearing caps to install the scraper...while I'm in there, how useful/important would it be to replace the main bearings and/or the rod bearings? Car has somewhere in the range of 84,000-90,000 miles (odometer broke) and many of them are track miles.

Or do you guys think this whole exercise would be a waste of time and money?
Old 07-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

My 968 engine is currently on the stand waiting for me to get some time. On my shelf sits main and rod bearings and the steel crank scraper, which will be installed before supercharging. My engine has about the same number of miles as yours.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful with the crank scrapers. I ordered a teflon scraper and it did not fit. I was then looking at my oil pan after I got it back from being cleaned and having a baffle welded in and saw that there is a crank scraper in the oil pan, stock.

Quick Reply: Crank scraper, rod bearings, main bearings?