968 Forum 1992-1995

Need AC help

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:36 PM
AllenM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need AC help

Alright, it has been extremely hot and humid the last week here in Atlanta. I suffered through the summer last year and had to drive my old pick up truck a lot just because my AC isn't up to snuff.
When I bought the car (1992) it had been converted to R134a. It worked ok, but not great. I had heard that people had some success with using the R12 substitutes, so I got it charged up with Freeze12. (I also have Freeze12 in my old pickup and it works great.) The Freeze12 seemed to be a little better than the R134a, but if the outside temp is over 85, the AC really doesn't cool.

I have checked the fans and they are working properly, they come on with the AC and kick into high when the engine gets hot w/ AC running.

I know some people have bought R12 over the internet, but then what? Will a shop vacuum and then charge with R12 that you bring in? Are there any other options? Anything else I should check that could be malfunctioning? The AC works fine when the outside temp is cooler, but of course that isn't when I need AC.

Thanks,
Allen
Old 06-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

You can check the heater valve, if it leaks a bit the AC will struggle to overcome that. Your system might also be contaminated with water, moisture will carry heat around and prevent effective operation of the refrigeration system. I suggest having the system discharged, replacing the drier ($10 or so from RMEuropean) and the O rings at least in that location and properly flushed, evacuated and charged again. RMEuro has some great AC service kits with O rings and valve cores and stuff.

I have a vacuum pump from Harbor Freight and the AC gauge set from them as well. Pretty decent stuff, but you might want to use a pro service for proper evac and recharging.

-Joel.

Last edited by Jfrahm; 06-15-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:22 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
I suggest having the system discharged, replacing the drier ($10 or so from RMEuropean) and the O rings at least in that location and properly flushed, evacuated and charged again. RMEuro has some great AC service kits with O rings and valve cores and stuff.

I have a vacuum pump from Harbor Freight and the AC gauge set from them as well. Pretty decent stuff, but you might want to use a pro service for proper evac and recharging.
Good advice, and I'd replace the expansion valve, too. As long as you're doing all of this, you should go on Craigslist and find a tank of R12, instead of using more of that Freeze-12...and I wouldn't even bother getting it in cans, just go for the full-sized tank.

Maybe if you lived in Vermont, the A/C shops would whine about R12 killing baby seals, but in Atlanta you should have no trouble finding a shop that will do the job.

Quick Reply: Need AC help