968 Forum 1992-1995

Starter Spinning Only Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:56 AM
porschenhorses
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Spinning Only Sometimes

In the long list of repairs, I think we're down to the second to last one but this one is killing me. We replaced the starter because the old one was spinning while the car was running and we assumed that the starter solonoid was going. Anyway, we have the same problem with the new starter but not all the time and there is a pattern to it.

Start the car, starter shuts off like normal. Turn car off and do it again, after about the 5th or 6th time of turning the car off and on the starter wont disengage. Traced the wires, when the starter is not running, the wires to the battery and alternator are both cold. When the starter is spinning they are both hot. Let the car sit for awhile and it starts all over again.

It seems like there is a ground missing somewhere but we have traced every wire in the car and cant find anything that looks bad or is missing. We tested the wires that run to the starter and they are fine, we separated them thinking they were somehow causing issues being run together, no change.

Any ideas?
Randi
Old 05-08-2010, 09:52 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you checked the ignition switch?
Old 05-08-2010, 03:20 PM
porschenhorses
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, checked the ignition, its fine. Everything looks completely fine, its the strangest problem I've seen yet, and this car has had some strange problems.

Quick Reply: Starter Spinning Only Sometimes