brake light gremlins!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:36 PM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake light gremlins!!

so heres the problem...
when my light switch is off, and i touch the brake pedal, all of the rearward facing tail lights and brake lights come on except for the driver's side inner bulb.
when the lights are on, all of my lights are lighted, including the third brake lamp and the driver's side inner bulb regardless of whether im touching the brakes or not...
so when lights are on, it looks like im riding the brakes and when the lights are off, the brake lights function normally when they are supposed to, with the exception of the driver's side inner bulb... whew...

What ive done so far: ive attacked every ground on my car with the exception of the one on the bellhousing. ive checked the hatch area for all wiring and found no shorts outside of the taped up loom. ive change out brand new bulbs with nothing changing, ive checked and rechecked each fuse and finally took the third brake lamp down to check those grounds. my rear wiper is removed so thats not shorting...

anybody have a clue?
Old 05-05-2010, 11:26 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

if anyone has any idea whatsoever, im open to anything... need to get the car inspected and these brake light antics are holdin up the works...
Old 05-06-2010, 01:38 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Default fixed

well everyone, its been a long road and i'd like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one that posted on this thread to not only help, but give me a "hang in there buddy, you'll get it" from time to time. just kidding... it was a wierd problem to have

Resolution: lets just say the answer wasn't on rennlist but somewhere else... but those that may be interested and have the same problem might want to check that they have proper single and double filament bulbs where they should be.

also be aware that there are relays in the passenger compartment. to find out what these do on an early '92 follow these simple steps:
1. look under fuse panel cover in engine bay for diagram. (not the one for the fuses/relays in that box, but for the passenger compartment)
2. notice lack of diagram
3. read notice to refer to page 92 of the owner's manual
4. read page 92
5.read again because you skimmed the first time and didn't see the promised answer right away
6. read the confirmation that there is in fact some relays in the passenger compartment and be referred to the fuse panel cover in the engine compartment for a nonexistent diagram.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:43 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, you win for the most emoticons in a single post!
Old 05-06-2010, 02:07 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, but did ya fix it? If so, what was wrong?
Old 05-06-2010, 04:14 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I did read your thread back then, and I just didn't have any clue so I didn't post. But I was pullin' for ya the whole time!
Old 05-06-2010, 11:43 AM
sydneyman
Nordschleife Master

Damian
yeah sorry i was all a flurry with emotions hence the full range of emoticons... no excuses there...

ehall
found a single filament bulb in the driver's side lower-outer bulb housing. changed it out to a double filament and every bad thing went away... only bought the car a few weeks ago so im finding all sorts of awesomeness...
oh and in the meantime i guess that single bulb couldn't take the heat so that part of the lens housing has melted and warped the hole the plug goes into so i had to break the bulb just to get it out the hole...

porscheman
haha that means alot

Quick Reply: brake light gremlins!!