Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Loud noisy moaning from transaxle

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:53 AM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got similar symptoms as you Mac. has been there since the LWflywheel-install. will check the tranny bearings next winter to see how they're like. Hope your car will get fixed and you find the reason for this problem - would be more than happy to hear what causes this noise!
Old 05-17-2010, 07:24 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took the car to Jeff Jones at Automotive Techniques on Friday. He drove the car and decided that there is "the potential" that the sound is actually coming from the ring and pinion gears themselves. Crap. So now I am wondering if my tranny has had the pinion bearing job done before and lash reset improperly? Also, the shift from second to third often "nips" going into third, so I am wondering if my 3rd gear synchro is going? Noise gets louder and louder. But it doesn't yet have that grinding or clattering sound of broken bits.

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:42 AM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's a bad news.
well, this is a known issue for these cars. and, if you renew your ring & pinion, it makes possible for you to change gear ratios for your car (faster gear ratios would be cool).
Old 05-21-2010, 11:17 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

Got a price from one of my local Porsche dealers today on a new ring and pinion. The guy wouldn't leave the price on his phone message and I now understand why. When I called the dealer back.....The parts guy answered the phone, then quietly said to another, "Its the 968 ring and pinion guy." Another guy got on the phone and asked, "Are you sitting down?" He said the cost was, $5300.00 (I think.) I am not sure as I may have blacked-out after the five thousand part was mentioned.

Wow.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:24 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Thats sounds way too high. I sold my 6 speed to a guy in Windsor and because I didn't know if the R&P was an issue agreed to an allowance if it was a problem. He put it in his 951 and it howled. It cost $ 1500 at a shop in London Ontario to get it fixed. Mac pm me and i'll put you in touch with the lister in Windsor, he can point you in the right direction.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:29 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Mac - until you open up the gearbox and look inside, you really don't know for sure what the problem is. I'm sure you'll have some options, even if it is a bad pinion and/or ring gear; takeouts, or swap out another good gearbox and swap your LSD, etc.
If you want to drop the tranny and ship it out to AZ, I can offer you the use of my lift.
You should come out to Adrian tomorrow for the mudfest.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:56 PM
macadamianut
Instructor

John,

Thanks for the offer of your lift, that is most generous. What would I do with the car after I take it out? I can't be tying up your lift with trackday season upon us. I haven't decided yet what to do about the car, been distracted by the wedding planning as it is a month away. I do agree, I think depending on what is bad, swapping a good gearbox and LSD might be the best bet. I'm still hoping that when I do get it out, it's just a bearing or two and some shims.

How was the trackday yesterday???

Quick Reply: Loud noisy moaning from transaxle