968 Forum 1992-1995

Cruise Control question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 12:42 AM
TexOne
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control question

In driving my 968 for the first time today (just picked it up), I used the cruise. (Interestingly, the PPI reported the cruise just not working, but I used it all day and it engaged and held speed just fine

Late in the day, I had the cruise on and found myself starting on a long downhill run. I'd like to know if what happened is typical or shows a problem in the cruise control. Rather than cancelling cruise control with the stalk, I just disengaged the clutch, took it out of gear, and let the clutch back in. The tach swung around and hit the rev limiter - twice. At first I thought I was having a prius moment or had somehow stuck the accelerator forward.

In a newer car, disengaging the clutch cancels the cruise. Are they not tied together in a 968? Was the cruise still engaged and, with the load removed, revving the engine? If this is just a function of a more mechancial, less-computerized cruise control I'll just make a mental note not to do this again. If this is unusual, I'll put it on the repair list. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:32 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

The cruise control, if I understand correctly, literally clamps down on the throttle cable, holding it in place. When you push the cruise control stalk to accelerate, while cruise control is engaged, it actually pulls the accelerator pedal down towards the floor. I don't think the clutch is mechanically connected to this mechanism, so with the cruise control clamping the throttle partially open, the engine could very well hit the rev limiter. I believe that newer cars with cruise control use some kind of electronic system, which merely has to sense the clutch pedal moving, and then deactivate electronically.

Maybe I'll experiment with this tomorrow, see if I get the same behavior :P
Old 03-23-2010, 01:40 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a switch on the clutch pedal that I had to replace to get my cruise working. My was stuck in permantly so it was keeping cruise in the cancel mode. I would make sure that switch is doing what it is suppose to be doing.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:24 PM
LTCMontana
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 462 Likes on 237 Posts

What you experienced is normal. If you have an owner's manual, look it up. Engaging the clutch only tempoararily disengages the cruise. In your case, when you let the clutch back out. the system assumed you had up shifted and it applied the accelerator again. The system was desinged for you to down shift and up shift while keeping the cruise engaged. I use mine like this all of the time in the hills of Montana on long up hills when the car can't pull the hill in 6th.

To check proper operation, set the cruise and tap the bakes. It should cancel. Push the stalk down to re-engage. To check the clutch operation, set the cruise in 4th. Then, push the clutch in and shift to 5th without touching anything else. The cruise should re-engage in the higher gear.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control question