968 Forum 1992-1995

rear sunroof clips and safe speeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:51 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking that the lift would come from precisely the concept of a wing. The flow over the top vs. the flow under the wing creates lift bye pressure differential. And I agree with you. lol
Old 03-31-2010, 12:55 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Pitou
Hard to believe that a sunroof "blows" out....
There must have been a defect with the latches or the roof was not properly latched.

I have driven mine at 150+, roof up and roof down....never the slightest problem.
It doesn't. It gets "sucked" out. Racecars probably wouldn't have this issue due to the fact that their windows are open, which balances the pressure differential.
Next time you are a highway speeds, with the top down. Now tilt the roof up. Now that it's up, sense the pressure. Now crack the windows about 1/4 inch. You'll litterally feel the difference.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:55 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
I'm thinking that the lift would come from precisely the concept of a wing. The flow over the top vs. the flow under the wing creates lift bye pressure differential. And I agree with you. lol
So...you mean the "upside-down lift" (downforce), right? :P
Old 03-31-2010, 12:58 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

^^^ofcourse the science is something for which I have no training, but if I can fly an airplane, guide a parachute, and make a sniper kill at 1k, I'm guessing that sometimes experience gives ya enough info to be somewhat correct...but I could be wrong.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:00 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JDS968
So...you mean the "upside-down lift" (downforce), right? :P
no, I actually mean wing lift. The speed of the air over a wing is faster than the air under. That creates a pressure diff that creates lift...to the best of my knowledge. That's why an airplane can't fly below the stall speed of it's wing.

Last edited by ehall; 03-31-2010 at 01:01 AM. Reason: blow should say BELOW
Old 03-31-2010, 01:29 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Are you suggesting that the total airflow over the car would increase in speed when the roof is tilted up, therefore increasing the effective pressure differential between the underbody of the car and upper surfaces?

It's certainly possible, and like I said, I haven't put the car in the wind tunnel. I think it's more likely that the car does not create laminar flow from the trailing edge of the raised panel to the hatch, and this flow separation acts exactly like the spoilers on an aircraft's wing, killing lift. If you look at the shape of a wind with a spoiler deployed, and then the profile of the 968 with the panel tilted up, you might see the similarity.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Jaro968
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 sunroof

Originally Posted by jpk
Why not just get some replacement gears and fix it properly? I did that four years ago when I first got the 968. I use the sunroof a lot (both the rear vent and removing it entirely) and haven't had any issues.

Clarks has a very detailed writeup. Just follow along and you really can't screw it up; there's nothing complicated about the process at all. Make sure you adjust the slip clutch correctly as per the instructions. It calls for 6 ft-lbs or something; I know mine was way tighter than that when I started; and that's what strips out the gears.
I have just joined (less than 1 hour ago) and going through some of the 968 posts. I am interested in talking to you about the sunroof repair as I broke something in mine last fall.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:32 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

jaro, welcome. go to www.clarks-garage.com
There is a writeup and DIY for your sunroof problem. It should be just the thing you need. For new gears, if you need them, or anything else, go to www.paragon-products.com. look under 968 body mechanical.

Again, welcome. Take some pics of the 968 and show it off!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:50 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JDS968
Are you suggesting that the total airflow over the car would increase in speed when the roof is tilted up, therefore increasing the effective pressure differential between the underbody of the car and upper surfaces?

It's certainly possible, and like I said, I haven't put the car in the wind tunnel. I think it's more likely that the car does not create laminar flow from the trailing edge of the raised panel to the hatch, and this flow separation acts exactly like the spoilers on an aircraft's wing, killing lift. If you look at the shape of a wind with a spoiler deployed, and then the profile of the 968 with the panel tilted up, you might see the similarity.
okay, i finally read through this carefully. I'm trying to understand what you are saying.
Are you saying that you think that the raised panel creates a stall, by spoiling the flow? If so, why is the suction so strong from inside the cabin toward the outlet area of the raised roof panel?
I would have thought that the suction was caused as a dirrect effect of the laminar flow over the roof, pulling the air from the cabin.
Like I said, I'm purely speculating, and trying to figure it out.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:42 AM
NaviRyan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sunroof flew off the other day. I couldn't find the front plastic clips. Does anybody have a part number for these or know of where I can get them? Doesnt look like Pelican has them.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by NaviRyan
My sunroof flew off the other day. I couldn't find the front plastic clips. Does anybody have a part number for these or know of where I can get them? Doesnt look like Pelican has them.
I've got some used if you get stuck. I'll see if I can find the part number for you.

Cheers mike

Quick Reply: rear sunroof clips and safe speeds