968 Forum 1992-1995

Driver's headlight sticking

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:48 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver's headlight sticking

How does one lubricate the headlight mechanism on a 968? I've done it on my 944s over the years, but I don't have the FSM for the 968 yet.

My problem is this: When turned on/off, the passenger headlight smoothly goes up and retracts. The drivers headlight moves in a jerky motion and takes a bit of time to get fully up or down. I assume that the mechanism needs some lubrication, but could there be other causes?
Old 01-24-2010, 10:31 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Help? Anyone?
Old 01-29-2010, 11:35 AM
dlearl476
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 63 Posts

Aaron, I just went through some headlight issues myself. "Jerky" motion? First thing I'd check is the tightness of the bolt that holds the lever arm to the motor. Among other issues, mine was a bit loose and allowing the arm to slip on the splines.
While you're doing that, pop both the heim joints off and clean and re-lube them. The white lithium grease in mine had turned into the consistency of dried bubble gum.
If that doesn't work, you may need to do what I did and pull the motor apart and clean and re-lube all the innards. The good news is that it is a quality motor and (relatively) easy to take apart and clean.
In the course of my issue, I bought another motor and I'm going to tear into it and do a "Headlight Motor R&R 101." Let me know if you need it, it may be further inspiration to get off my duff and do it.
Old 09-21-2024, 03:51 PM
sm
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dlearl476
Aaron, I just went through some headlight issues myself. "Jerky" motion? First thing I'd check is the tightness of the bolt that holds the lever arm to the motor. Among other issues, mine was a bit loose and allowing the arm to slip on the splines.
While you're doing that, pop both the heim joints off and clean and re-lube them. The white lithium grease in mine had turned into the consistency of dried bubble gum.
If that doesn't work, you may need to do what I did and pull the motor apart and clean and re-lube all the innards. The good news is that it is a quality motor and (relatively) easy to take apart and clean.
In the course of my issue, I bought another motor and I'm going to tear into it and do a "Headlight Motor R&R 101." Let me know if you need it, it may be further inspiration to get off my duff and do it.
As a PSA, I fixed the jerky headlight by taking the headlight motor apart and cleaning the contact traces. I found a good video on YouTube that describes the process.

The following 2 users liked this post by sm:
Ufnavy06 (Yesterday), Yogii (09-21-2024)
Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM
Ufnavy06
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

My passenger side was sticking yesterday, so I'm guessing it's similar. Glad we're getting some more videos on the car to help us keep them running.

Quick Reply: Driver's headlight sticking