Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Update: improved exhaust for better HP gain w/ SUPERCHARGER.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 10:35 PM
savvas944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

actually i was referring to removing the std airbox all together ,installing a 75 mm 135 degree alloy pipe from the MAF wrapped in exhaust insulating tape, a conical filter installed ,where the bumper opening is.Just remove the rubber seal where the snorkel of the std airbox was which is a factory installed restrictor by the way.
The air is quite cool there and as the most of the heat is generated by the exhaust manifold ,which has been already wrapped in insulating tape, and a 71 degree thermostat instead of a 83,
the engine compartment is much cooler than the standard arrangement.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:09 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

"Has anyone noticed also that the 968 std filter housing sits on top of the radiator...." -- SAVVAS944

i always thought the heat that builds up inside the engine bay was is a big problem for running conical K & N setups... that's why i don't run one... So, in effect, you are saying we should consider insulating the intake air plumbing all the way to the motor ?? you saying that hot plastic pipe equates to lost power etc ??

i think overall that this car was never going to be able to be considered a GREAT PORSCHE in the Porsche family with out going to some type much-higher-than-stiock-hp setup. Since i will probably never race, what made me decide on having this car was hopefully, having the resources to modify it.

For some reason the idea of someon saying, "what is that ?" followed by "what was that ?" was never going to be possible without forced air or a v8. I think that the supercharger is a way to maximize the usable lifespan of the variocam, and still get somo good performance, and at some point later, be able to run something else... Someone asked me, "but whataya gonna do when you try to sell the car?" -- lol.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:47 PM
savvas944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont disagree with you, but the conical filter just next to the cold air entry into the engine, when the exhaust manifold has been thermally insulated ,does not receive that much hot air,it is tried.

Also if the supercharger is the way to go, for 5,000 usd ,you can drop a 951 engine in it with minor mods and have yourself a replica 968 turbo rs. Sell the 968 engine and recover some of the costs as well.

Quick Reply: Update: improved exhaust for better HP gain w/ SUPERCHARGER.