968 Forum 1992-1995

Odometer

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 05:27 PM
ttecwilson
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odometer

My odometer just stopped working. Any common causes that a DIYer could fix? Can it be repaired or is replacement the only option.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:30 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need a new odometer gear.
There is a write up on clarks-garage.com.

You can get the gear from Pargon parts.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:30 PM
AllenM
Advanced

Typically the odometer problem is the odometer gear as mentioned before.
However, me and one other Rennlister that I know of have a different problem. My odometer stopped working and I bought the gear, tore things apart, found my original gear was in good shape, replaced it anyways, put everything back together and it still doesn't work. What runs the gears is a small electric stepper motor. The other guy ran some tests (I think) and found out that his stepper motor wasn't getting any current. When my odometer was going out, it went slowely...so it slowed down and clicked along and finally quit. I'm pretty sure there is something in the circuit boards that failed.

I am planning on buying a new cluster one day, but for now I just estimate mileage and do maintenance based on age. The bigest pain in the *** for the project is getting the cluster out. I got mine out without removing the steering wheel (I didn't want to mess w/ the ABS), but it would have been WAY easier with the wheel off.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Darryl92Cab
Instructor

If it's not the gear, then it is most likely a circuitry problem. The motors aren't known specifically for failure. I went through the same process of troubleshooting and testing and ended up sending my cluster in to North Hollywood Speedometer, which is an authorized VDO repair shop, and they were not only super helpful, but very informative about the failure(s). They also fixed an erratic temperature guage while they have the cluster.

As for removal with and without the steering wheel, I've had them out of a number of cars, both 944s and 968s and never remove the wheel. Sure it ain't easy the first time, but you get the hang of it and it does indeed beat messing with the airbag.

- Darryl
Old 10-30-2009, 11:45 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Could also be the sending unit mounted on the trans.

Quick Reply: Odometer