968 Forum 1992-1995

Door hinge failing: $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:11 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Door hinge failing: $$$?

The upper driver's-side door hinge pin is wearing out (130K mi.) , and quickly. I'm wondering what kind of cost is involved to fix this: it's clear you have pretty much tear the door open.

Anyone had experience with this?
Old 10-14-2009, 10:37 PM
jpk
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The door side of the hinge is welded to the door structure, and you can't get to it from inside the door, just from the door end panel.
On my car, the welds on the bottom hinge had broken. I had to remove the door, then cut away the sheet metal on the end to let a welder get in there and fix things back up.
The door wasn't that difficult to remove as it's only the four main bolts for the hinges on the A-pillar base, and the stop catch. Disconnect the stop before you do the hinges.
The hardest part was finding the wiring harness connectors - they're way up at the top of the kick panel, almost right under the fusebox. I had to remove the silver box to get at them (cruise computer i think)
There are two connectors. Once I found them, it was easy enough to disconnect them and pull the wires back down and out through the door jamb.
The door is a bit heavy, so make sure you have a floor jack and some hunks of wood to support it as you loosen the hinges.

Quick Reply: Door hinge failing: $$$?