968 Forum 1992-1995

968 cab top DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 04:27 PM
jwillman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 968 cab top DIY

There are two 968's in my local area for sale. One electric top that works but has some worn spots and yellowing rear window plastic. The second was supposedly damaged by not securing before driving and has some level of support damage.

Has anyone tackled replacing the top themselves? What are the specific challenges?

Thanks
Jim
Old 08-13-2009, 09:02 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of the mechanical pieces are very expensive or NLA.
With some digging the parts can be found used.

New tops with a window are easily attainable.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:18 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 169 Posts

I have extensive top experience- what do you need to know? Many cabs have had the motors dissabled due to a tendency to break an arm if one of the 2 cables fail. If you break one cable and continue to use the electric top all the weight is shifted over to one side and the added atress breaks the arm..- I had this happen, that is why I know so much about them. I completely rebuilt my assembly and top.

I have also replaced the rear window which is removable with all the rest of the top in tact. It is a seperate piece. The damaged one is damaged where? the upright arms are VERY expensive as are all the rubber trim pieces that are no longer in production.

Used parts are getting VERY hard to find, I have searched around trying to accumulate parts for my cab and parts were already grabbed up.

I have a complete top assembly with a cracked rear window I would sell....if you chose to buy one.

Give me a call if you like 434-942-2916- Cheers, Mike
Old 08-14-2009, 01:44 PM
jwillman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am looking at a 968 in my local area that has some top wear and was wondering if a top replacement was beyond DIY. All bows, mechanics and liner are good, top canvas just has wear and cloudy rear window. Local shop qouted me $1600. I see replacement tops (two pieces) online for ~$700.

Thanks
Jim
Old 08-20-2009, 06:28 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 169 Posts

The main section- all but the rear window sections is a BITCH. THe rear section alone is easy. $1600 is not so bad because all of the pop rivits that have to be drilled and the extensive wrap and glue and rivot and wrap etc... the assy is not obvious and requires a great attention to detail on dissassembly. I have drawings if you need them and you will.. once the entire assy is apart if your shop is not on thier game it will not be as air tight, snaps will be in the wrong place and the head liner and rear window will not fold correctly to assure longevity. That is why there are salvage yards selling complete assys for $2K if in great shape... ther rear window section is not a problem and is easy to fix... hell I think I could fix it for you for under $200 bucks.

Cheers, Mike

Quick Reply: 968 cab top DIY