968 Forum 1992-1995

Carbon Fiber TS Spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber TS Spoilers

There has been some controversy over the CF pieces on my car. A few People have said that they are not 100% CF, but rather CF overlay on top of Fiberglass.
This is not true. These parts are 100% carbon fiber. No Fiberglass. I purchased these from American International Racing (AIR). They typically make these pieces out of fiberglass, but will make them out of carbon fiber if you request it.
Leaving them exposed is not somehing i would recommend for a show car. The seams where the CF is attached is very bad quaity. These parts are designed for race cars, not show cars. I had the sides of my rear spoiler color coded. The adjustable bridge and front splitter were left exposed. I had to do some blending (which you could see in the pictures) and have both parts clear coated and wet sanded for them to look decent.
I went through 3 fiberglass front splitters (all from AIR) before i decided to go with a CF unit. The CF splitter costs $100 more then the fiberglass unit, but is much more durable. It has outlasted all my fiberglass units combined.
Here are a few pictures of the parts and the car.
The Car

Close-up's of the Spoilers

Old 05-01-2009, 10:00 PM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 57 Posts

Cool, thanks for sharing that.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What controversy? I haven't seen anything on Rennlist.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Fox944
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
What controversy? I haven't seen anything on Rennlist.
There hasn't been any on Rennlist. Not in the form of threads or posts anyway. A few members have told a few others @ the 968 Parade that the spoilers are CF inlays over fiberglass and not true CF.

Just wanted to sort that out and correct the misinformation as well as spread some info (that others may find usefull) on the spoilers, their quality, and the work i had to do to make them presentable. Naturally, i posted pictures as well.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber TS Spoilers