Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Car door speaker advice needed (5.25")

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 10:09 PM
todzilla
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car door speaker advice needed (5.25")

Well, after about 2 months of (happy) ownership, I'm tackling my factory speakers in my '92 coupe. I've removed the rear 4X6s in panels and replaced them with some 6 X 9s in sealed boxes and placed directly in behind my front seats (rear footwells) Thsi was a huge improvement in the punch the PO's Sony Xplode headunit delivered......I rarely have anyone forced to squeeze into the back seat so it's no biggie to lose that room - and I can always quick disconnect them in a pinch.

Today, I thought I'd tackle the doors' lower speakers (I have the 6 speaker system btw) - as one of them was crackling and likely rotted out.

I took them out and they were pretty much shot. Now it gets interesting.

First, I noticed that both speakers have a wierd +/- connection. Normally, you have a red (+) connection and a black (-) side. The Nokias that it has have 2 of each per side!? Like this...
+- +- I've never encountered that and can't figure out if I just need to cut them and splice in 1 'normal' wire to one side, or cut both pairs and run the 2 +'s and 2 -'s to one, each. Does that make any sense? (I can take pics if it helps)

Second problem is, as I put them back in and hooked everything back up (until I figure out the speakers I will replace them with) - it seems now that neither side will produce sound!? I did disconnect the 4 pin harness that links the wires behind the grill to better access everything so maybe I shorted something? Is there a fuse for just the front speakers? As far as I can tell, the speakers still work, but it seems I jiggled something loose/shorted something out, or blew a hidden fuse for these 2!?

Whew! Sorry so many questions - I just want to plug and play something in the doors and got myself in over my head!!

ANY help or advice is appreciated!

Todd
Old 11-27-2008, 10:45 AM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to clarify, the factory speakers are wired to the Sony explode head unit? There is a crossover for the factory speakers as there is a low/mid/high, are you going to run 3 way speakers where the 5 1/4's were, or are you going to run a component setup? When my car was done, we just ran new speaker wire from the head unit to the new 5 1/4" 3 ways and called it a day, but if you want to do a component system you'll have to run to a crossover, and I beileve the nokia system speakers have the crossover built into them, hence the funky wiring.

Steve
Old 11-27-2008, 05:21 PM
todzilla
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhhh - so I will need to run new standard (+/-) wires from my head unit to run a full range 5.25" speaker? I didn't want to have to take off my door panels but looks like I may have to.

Quick Reply: Car door speaker advice needed (5.25")