968 Forum 1992-1995

How do you lube your pop-up lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 12:52 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default How do you lube your pop-up lights?

How do you lube your pop-up lights? I mean the swivel/hinge part. Rather than come up from behind/underneath the light by jacking the car and taking out the fender liner, is there a way to shoot some lube into the hinge swivel from the top? Is there anything underneath that area that could be hurt by lube being sprayed in from the top...like wiring or something? Rain gets on this part frequently (I'm guessing) so periodic lube may be needed).

H2
Old 11-09-2008, 11:19 AM
oppositelock
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only lubing mentioned by Porsche are the ball and socket joints on both sides of the arms that go from the motor to the pivot arm. The hinge is hidden behind the front bumper. Pulling the bumper is not technically difficult, but a big job if you do not have a specific problem. Never heard nor seen this hinge being a sticking problem, doesn't mean it can't be, though.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:49 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I shot a small amount of white lithium at every kind of joint I could see. I'm not saying white lithium is the best thing to use, but I used it and it reduced the squeak when the lights operate.

Quick Reply: How do you lube your pop-up lights?