Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Stereo wiring help

Old 09-14-2008, 05:23 PM
flwbyu
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo wiring help

Greetings to everyone! I am finally installing a new stereo in my car and need a little help with the wiring. I am fairly sure I understand what needs to be done but wanted confirmation before I started installing the new stereo. I currently have the factory CR-1 Radio/Cassette deck installed in my 94 968. I have purchased a JVC Arsenal KD-ADV49 to replace it.

Factory CR-1 Radio/Cassette deck

Factory CR-1 Radio/Cassette deck - back side of unit

Factory CR-1 Radio/Cassette deck - wiring diagram

Factory wiring harness - currently in the 94 968

JVC KD-ADV49 wiring diagram - back side of unit

JVC KD-ADV49 wiring diagram - from the installation manual

Since I do not have any amps or extra speakers the install looks fairly straight forward. I am not worried about the speakers since they are labeled clearly with the stripes being negative. I am using the CR-1's wire harness since the head unit is broken and no longer works. This way I do not have to cut into the original wire harness. So, just note that the colors I'm referring to below are from the CR-1's wire harness and not the factory colors located behind the connector.

Factory wiring harness labeled

From this information I am assuming that stereo needs to be hooked as follows

1. Black wire (ground) from JVC to Black wire (ground) wiring harness
2. Yellow wire (12v+ constant) from JVC to Yellow wire (12v+ permanent voltage) wiring harness
3. Red wire (accessory) from JVC to Red wire (12v+ ignition) wiring harness
4. Blue wire (power antenna) from JVC to Blue wire (power antenna) wiring harness
5. Orange w / white stripe wire (illumination) from JVC to the Clock's Black / Blue wire (illumination)

Now, the question becomes where do I hook the parking brake wire (Light green)? There has been a ton of discussion on this but still not clear what to do. Should it just be grounded to the black wire (ground) wiring harness? I am trying to bypass the parking brake function so my passenger can watch movies. I understand the safety concerns around this issue. thx.

In any event, I would greatly appreciate any help or comments with the wiring of this head unit. Please feel free to let me know if I am missing anything. Thanks!

Last edited by flwbyu; 09-15-2008 at 04:59 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not familiar with JVC KD-ADV49
but illumination can be one of two things.

1. changing backlight color from daytime to nightime....done via headlamp/dashboard lighting signal.

2. changing the intensity of the display (similar to dimming the dashboard illumination)
Old 09-14-2008, 10:24 PM
Shamus
Rennlist Member

See this thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=ashtray+light
Old 09-15-2008, 02:52 AM
flwbyu
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 09-16-2008, 11:53 PM
968workaholic
Pro

The parking wire should just have to be grounded in order for the display to work. In an automatic car it is hooked up to the neutral safety switch, which goes to grond when in park. If grounding it doesn't work for you, you could always cut the wire and be done with it. Good Luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stereo wiring help