Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Rear (backseat side OEM) Speaker Replacement?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 11:27 PM
AZ968Cab
Cab'n It
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 968 Rear (backseat side OEM) Speaker Replacement?????

OK, now the coolant systen is done I moved on to replace a couple dry-rotted speakers. I popped the cover off the back (um, after I bought the 6 1/2 in. speakers) and was ready to put the new Infinitys in when I realized they have some sort of digital board attached to the OEMs I'm replacing...

Question: Is there a way to use off-the-shelf speakers to replace the OEMs????? Is there a way to use any of the 6 or so wires to power the new speakers (had all of them feeding a proprietary plug). Chris
Old 06-08-2008, 10:41 AM
jpk
Burning Brakes

The board on the back of the speakers is an amplifier. 5 wires are used in the plug; +/- 12v, a control to turn on/off and the program signal. I'm not sure if the signal is line level or speaker level (amplified at the head unit)
Unless you're replacing the entire system, you might be better off just getting new amplified speakers from the dealer. The oem hi-fi system is actually pretty good, except that it's a little low on overall power (things get muddy when you turn up the volume)
I've essentially replaced eveything in mine - head unit, door speakers and rear speakers. I'm on my second set or speakers in the back, and I'm still not completely satisfied - It's OK, but not great. In retrospect, I probably should have just gotten a becker CDR220 head unit and left everything else stock.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:31 PM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

rear speakers are for fill anyway. Are the front speakers the same way as the back on a 968 (with an amplifier right behind the speaker?) Weird.

Quick Reply: 968 Rear (backseat side OEM) Speaker Replacement?????