968 Forum 1992-1995

bleed clutch line

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 07:13 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Default bleed clutch line

i replaced the rubber clutch line and am having a little trouble bleeding the line/slave/master. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Mike
Old 03-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Mike - Whenever I have had air in the line, I've found it handy to just "gravity bleed" it for 30 minutes, THEN Power Bleed it again.

Gravity Bleed =
- fill reservoir to top
- place pan under bleeder
- open and let it drip (slowly, it's worse than paint drying)
- don't let reservoir get low (it won't 'cause it drains sloooooow)
- have your favorite beverage or two - allow 30 minutes for this drain

Then Power Bleed as usual. For some reason, this has always worked for me. Nothing special with car position either, I just do it with the front of the car up on ramps just enough for me to get to the clutch bleeder.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:33 AM
AllenM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems like everyone has their own personal tricks for doing this, so I'll tell you what worked for ME and hopefully that helps.

I only had success with the front end of the car on the ground and the rear jacked up. Others do it flat, that didn't work for me.
I did the power bleeder first a few times and still had a little air in the lines. So then I did it manually (with a friend helping) a few times with the push pedal, open valve, close valve, release pedal sequence.
After doing it manually for about 3-4 times, all the air was out and the clutch was stiff.

Hope you find the trick for your car.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:30 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use a power bleeder, open the bleeder screw up so it is really coming out fast. That should get most of the air out of the system. Before you take the bleeder off the resivoir, pump the clutch pedal 20 times and open the bleeder screw again. Any remaining air should be pushed out. Pushing the clutch pedal with the power bleeder on helps to push the air down the the slave and out the bleeder screw when you open it. Works on every car every time for me.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Simple power bleeding with a Motive has always worked for me in the past, until the last time, it didn't. I remember reading about the "jack the back" trick and decided to try it. So, I simply backed the car onto ramps and pumped the pedal about 10 times, without any bleeding, and all was well.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:40 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks guys I will try this week

Mike
Old 03-26-2008, 12:35 AM
racergreg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Count me as another success story with a power bleeder and the back of the car up. Makes it a little harder to get to the bleeder (lower to the ground) but it was the only way. Once I did it with the back end up, the job was done in 15-20 minutes.

Quick Reply: bleed clutch line