968 Forum 1992-1995

Anyone install a Recaro Speed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Jim_K
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone install a Recaro Speed?

I am getting pretty close to purchasing a pair of Recaro Speeds for my 968.

I am trying to get the seat as low as possible so I have some additional helmet room over the stock seats.

I am only 5' 8", but due to having to have the seat fairly far foward to properly reach the pedals, I run out of headroom with my helmet on.

Does anyone have experience with this seat and mounting options that will give more clearance than the stock set up?

I want to be able to use sliders and not mount the seat fixed, but I need some options on headroom. Any suggestions/experience is appreciated.

Jim
Old 03-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Mike O
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim,

I have SRDs on the Recarro sliders. The sliders bolted directly to the hard points in the floor pan and the seat is significantly lower than stock. I even thought about putting spacers under the slides. I'm 5'9" so YMMV.

Using this mounting approach the seats are very close to the tunnel. We had to remove the seatback adjuster **** before the seats would fit.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Jim_K
Rennlist Member

Mike,
Thanks for the info, and this is what I was hoping to hear. I had heard that about the adjuster *****, but I guess it isn't too much of an issue to have to remove them.

Did you keep your stock 3 points operational? If yes where did you mount the latch receptacle to? The SRD or the tunnel?

I'm assuming that there is only one Recaro slider for the Speed/SRD's that are for our cars? Is there a PN that I need to order that you know of?

How do you like the SRD's? My car is a dual use very light street (not a DD) / track car, so I didn't want to go for a full race shell.

Thanks again.
Jim
Old 03-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Mike O
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim,

For dual use, the SRDs are great. The seat does fit me very closely (I can't have a wallet in my hip pocket!) but I won't be taking any 8 hour drives.

The slider came from Speedware Motorsports. Their code number on the invoice was 0.70.9NT, Recaro Slider W/O Height Adj Universal Inside Double Locking.

Right now the 3 pt is anchored to the tunnel and the sub (6 pt) is anchored to the seat via a Brey Krause connector. I may reverse this so the sub goes to the tunnel anchor and the 3 pt goes to the seat like OEM.

Enjoy the new seats!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:55 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I have recaro pole positions and they bolted directly to the stock sliders. I am 5'9 and there is pretty of room with a helmet.

Mike
Old 03-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Jim_K
Rennlist Member

Mike & Mike, thanks for the info.

Regards....Jim
Old 03-07-2008, 11:11 PM
StewHatch
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What seat would you recommend for someone 6'4" ?

Quick Reply: Anyone install a Recaro Speed?