Floor jack tip and jacking...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 07:43 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Floor jack tip and jacking...

I use a conventional floor jack with my 968 but have never liked how the metal tip of the jacking arm engages the 968 lifting pads. And didn't like the idea of paying the price for the special jack adapter that some parts houses sell.

Soooo... I use a round soft plastic hockey puck between my jack and the car. I first remove the jack's "gnarly top" and place the puck on the flat part of the jack arm. It works great. Any hockey dude probably will give you one for nothing.

I, however, have never been fully comfortable jacking and putting the 968 on four floor stands (actually, I use more sturdy 12" x 12" pieces of wood). I have them in different lengths....I found them in a construction project's trash pile.

If you only use the primary four jacking places for raising the car high and placing on stands, it's not exactly easy.

Any hints on how to do this better, without stressing something I shouldn't?

H2
Old 03-03-2008, 03:45 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Well a hockey puck works but most commonly people use scraps of 2x4. Just easier to find I guess.

I never jack from the factory jack points. I've heard people say they collapse and I have seen them collapse on my dad's 964! That was scary. I either jack from suspension-to-chassis mounting points, or the front crossmember, or occasionally the transmission.

The best way to jack up the front is to jack it from the center of the crossmember with wood, and put jackstands under the caster blocks. You must have the rearmost metal engine tray off.

My way to jack up the front is to put the jack's cup right under a caster block bolt. Once lifted, you can put a jackstand somewhere under the crossmember or under a rearward edge portion of the A-arm.

Jacking the rear, I put the jack cup directly under the torsion tube. When looking in from the side, there is a bolt in that region that stands out plainly. I jack right there. Then it is easy to put a jackstand under the frontmost portion of that housing. Really crane your neck down or lie down and look under the rocker panel, and you'll see that housing extends pretty far and there's enough distance for the jack and jackstand.

Sometimes when I'm in a bind and need to somehow lift the entire rear at once, I will jack from the tranny with a 2x4. This isn't good for the tranny mounts so I only do it when needed.

Always, after you raise the car, give it a good shove! If it moves (or falls), there is a problem! Be safe .

Quick Reply: Floor jack tip and jacking...