968 Forum 1992-1995

Looking for Vario Cam schematic

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:28 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Looking for Vario Cam schematic

Does anyone have a vario cam wiring schematic?
I'm hooking up the vario cam to a Tec3 and need to know the polarity of the solenoid. I also don't have any of the factory wiring so just colors will not help unless someone can also ID the pin locations.

I guess the type of answer I'm looking for would be like: The top pin (as installed in the car) of the solenoid is +.

TIA
Old 02-21-2008, 10:48 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You have a PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:43 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts

I have a factory service manual, and when looking at the wiring diagrams they are sorted by year- what year is yours? Did you already get an answer?

Looking at the DME and the engine compartment

the Valve Camshaft Control wiring for the Negative side is BL/RE and goes to pin 23 on your DME, The positive wire is the RE/GN and runs to conector 103 which also has wiring for the fuel injectors..

I hope this helps- PM me if you need more info...Mike
Old 02-22-2008, 01:23 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys!
Now the real important quesition. On the solenoid, is the post to the drivers side positive or negative? Or does it even matter? I know a DC solenoid is polarity sensitive, but I do not know if the valve cares if it's pulled or pushed.

In this application the year really isn't relevant, the engine is in a 944 chassis, and I do not have any of the 944 or 968 engine harness since it's all being controlled by the Tec3 EMS.

Again, thanks for the help guys! This is one of the last things left on my to do list before I start this sucker up and head to the dyno.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:01 AM
Mike O
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perfect timing! I should be getting my TECgt harness in about two weeks so any hints on the installation would be great!
Old 02-23-2008, 10:09 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts

Recieved your PM, try this

- You are going to need a voltmeter- I took readings with the DME hooked up at the connector.- take the connector off and test between each wire and ground on the battery On my Fluke 83 the range is automatic. THe Passenger side is about 16.9 K and the drivers wire is .53 M. I also switched to an el cheapo brand and the pass wire with the range set at 200K is still about 16.9 K and the drivers was 40.5 K because of the range setting. If you set it then at 20M range the passenger will read 0 or close to it .001 and the drivers wire will read 3.4M +/- or at least in the M range...Reading through all the circuitry in the high settings, depending on what unit you have it varies.

I hope this helps. If this did not define which is which because of mods disconnect the DME harness and read from pin 23 to both the wires. the one that is a dead short is the negitive one.

Let me know what you find, I may be able to define it some other way... Mike

Quick Reply: Looking for Vario Cam schematic