968 Forum 1992-1995

So, what engine oil are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:50 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by grants_968
Porsche fills new cars with 0W-40 but modern engines are built with smaller clearances than ours. OPCs in Europe fill the pre-996 cars with 5W-50.

Those of you using M1 15W-50 may note that Mobil recently reintroduced the former version "back by popular demand," which has a red cap instead of silver and supposedly has the same engine antiwear ingredients as the old 15W-50 did.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:06 PM
968workaholic
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
For that matter, you might as well use a high quality dino oil that's SJ rated with the desirable ZDDP level, and change every 3000 miles instead of the 6250 factory recommended interval. No?
That is true. Save some money in the process as well as getting an oil that is fortified with the correct amount of high pressure agents.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:51 PM
grants_968
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Porsche fills new cars with 0W-40 but modern engines are built with smaller clearances than ours. OPCs in Europe fill the pre-996 cars with 5W-50.
Luis, your proposition makes sense for an unmodified 968 engine. If so, then my use of oil should not be the model of what others necessarily use.

When Heritage in Largo FL rebuilt my 968 engine, they did a lot of reengineering including blueprinting the engine. Jason Lee at Heritage who did my 968 turbo conversion advised Mobil 1 0W-40.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:11 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 968workaholic
Mobil one has lowered their ZDDP levels a ton. The reason being is that these chemicles cause the cat to wear out sooner. So the EPA gets involved and all but a few companies lower the ZDDP levels. Now ZDDP is a chemicle that acts as a high pressure agent, helping the oil to stick to the lifters when the cam is trying to push it out. I have seen a few cams that have scored on the tops of the lobes because of this. Now the cams had some mileage on them, but it was a select few not most that had shown this. Royal Purple and Red Line are the only two that I know of that have kept the ZDDP levels the same. The alternative is to buy an additive that has ZDDP in it. It probably won't effect the daily driver, but it can't hurt to have a fortifier of some type in their oil.

Red Line 15-50 synthetic is what we use
AGIP 4T 10w-60 has the necessary ZDDP. I'll never change unless they do.

Quick Reply: So, what engine oil are you using?