968 Forum 1992-1995

Overheating? It could be your grounds!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 06:53 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay, I've got it sorted out.

The tiny screw had nothing to do with the problem and the harnesses were well connected.

The problem was that when I reattached the grounding posts, I didn't tighten the locking nuts enough on the first two gauges (enging temperature and fuel) and they couldn't work properly.

After reading Trevor's write up I was afraid to overtighten the grounds and didn't realize that not tightening them enough would render the gauges useless.

In conclusion: when you do this, make sure the locking nuts on the grounding posts are tight!

As for the loose screw, after taking apart all the gauges, it turned out to be one of the 2 screws that hold the odometer to the speedo. I put it back in, added a dab of glue and it should be good for another 17 years.

Thanks for your help. Now I'm curious to see what happens the next time I fill up with fuel.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:48 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Filled the S2 with fuel yesterday and no, the needle still does not read 4/4 like we were hoping.

Oh well, at least everything works correctly and I can see the instruments now with the new bulbs and foil on the reflectors.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:37 PM
JoeH968
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Clark's Garage

Clark's Garage has a procedure for diagnosing & repairing fuel indication problems.

Go here: http://www.clarks-garage.com/, then choose Garage Shop Manual from the menu on the left, then go to Fuel Level_Level Indication Problems/Repairs.

Good luck.

Joe

Last edited by JoeH968; 12-01-2007 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Overheating? It could be your grounds!