Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Pinion bearing Cost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 11:45 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 101 Posts

Just to clear up the dialog, when we talk about the famous "pinion bearing" problem with 968 transmissions, the issue is not with (either of the) pinion shaft bearings, per se. It is with their set-up, that is, the shims under the front pinion bearing that establish pinion depth, and the shims under the rear pinion shaft bearing that establish preload of both bearings. The factory seems to have made some 968 transmissions with incorrect preload, which has led to premature bearing wear / failure and the noise.

The factory also made the same mistake with some 944S2 transmissions. I've fixed a few of 'em and seen the damage from shims that have been spat out because of the preload issue. I don't know anyone else who has reported the problem, but I also don't know anyone who has serviced anywhere as many 944 and 968 transmissions as I have.

Okay with that said, in 2016 no one is really seeing this from-the-factory problem anymore. That's because any car that had the problem would have shown it many years ago. Unless you've kept your car parked for the last twenty years, which apparently some people do. If you have a pinion bearing noise / issue now, it's far more likely due to age and wear. You've got an old car with a worn out transmission.

What it needs is a complete rebuild: new bearings, synchros, seals, shims, sized circlips, and everything measured and set to spec. Cost of labor plus parts runs to $3K, add add roughly another $300 if you have the clutch-type LSD (versus the Torsen used later or the open diff used any years). (And anyone who charges less than that is not doing a full rebuild, or is giving away labor and parts.) Plug: I stock all the 968 parts because they are painfully slow to get from Porsche, and Audi doesn't have them any longer. I also have and use the factory tools for the 968.

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2016, 11:49 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom Pultz
I don't think the noises I am hearing with my S2 are the same as those attributed to the 968 pinion bearing problem. I don't hear any whining, just a groaning, rumbling or thrashing sound on deceleration... it's hard to describe It is also particularly noticable when driving slowing in 1st or 2nd gear under light load where you are on and off the throttle.... you hear a of gear "rattle."
Tom, the problem you describe may be normal noise. If it sounds like chains being dragged over a grate, and happens with a warm car driven slowly, the noise may be nothing to worry about. Not 100% sure of its source, Jim Pasha used to think it was the reverse gear idler. I notice a lot of transmissions show signs of fifth gear fixed (pinion shaft) rubbing against the "end plate" (steel center section) because they need a thicker spacer washer under them.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:52 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smshirk
Whine when decelerating initially, sort of like a jet engine sound but not exactly. At this point the whining is noticable almost all of the time and keeps getting louder. My mechanic told me about a year ago that he didn't recommend repair since we put so few miles on it, but I can't stand the noise anymore. There does not appear to be any effect on performance, shifting, etc
If you're hearing a whine (versus rattle) on decel, that is a classic symptom of severe wear to the front pinion bearing. By "severe," I mean it needs to be fixed yesterday before more stuff breaks and the repair cost escalates! Cheers.

Quick Reply: Pinion bearing Cost?