Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Conversion to manual steering, parts list?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 02:28 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will not know the difference on the track. Only around the padock does it get heavy at very very slow speeds, but that is not much of a problem. The ratio is different so you will have slightly different steering inputs for various corners, like a degree or so more input here or there.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Jim_K
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is it if the car sees some street use? Too heavy or OK. Luckily I won't be parallel parking it much
Old 08-01-2007, 05:22 PM
biotechee
Racer

Jim_K...

I am in the midst of acquiring the pieces to do this on a street car. Unfortunately, I probably won't do the conversion until the Winter when my car is taken off the road and sent to my guy for its check-up/service. After that, I'll be able to comment....

Oh hell- I'll comment now- I anticipate it will not be fun in the driveway or a parking lot, and practically transparent while driving at any speed above 10mph.

Along with no more PS fluid headaches, I am looking forward to a little weight loss and greater feedback from the road (I hope).
Old 08-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Mike O
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To make the change a little easier, why not just remove the pump, strut, belt, reservoir, etc? I have run track and street with no PS belt and no issues in the short term - 90 days or so. IIRC, the mechanical advantage of the power rack is less so the input torque is greater and the parking lot situations will make you grunt louder.

My real question is will running the ps rack manually result in premature failure of the rack?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Darth Coupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jim_K
How is it if the car sees some street use? Too heavy or OK. Luckily I won't be parallel parking it much
It is OK on the street. I drive mine on the street and there is no issues driving it around town. Just at the slowest speeds and with a lot of steering cranking do you say, hmm, that is what power steering is for. Then you go and look at the stain on the garage floor and you say, ahh yes, that is why I converted.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:02 AM
Jim_K
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Darth.....thanks for the info. I agree, that stain is annoying!
Old 08-02-2007, 10:16 AM
biotechee
Racer

MikeO-

Search the 944 sections- there is a way to use the PS rack in manual mode, but apparently you have to make some jumper or something to allow the internal PS fluid to move / relieve pressure. But, after I read everything I could, using the PS rack in manual mode even with the jumpers was pretty much a band aid. The manual rack was the way to go as far as I could tell.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Mike O
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm. And all I did was cut the belt to keep from spewing ATF all over the track. I'll do more investigation before I do that again.

Quick Reply: Conversion to manual steering, parts list?