Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Cleanin your engine bay

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007 | 06:36 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Talking Cleanin your engine bay

Ok I already know a clean engine makes it easier to spot leaks and gives you points on concours if your in that class. So what are the best products to use? After seeing the thread on "Post engine pics" i busted out some metal cleaner and gave a wack at it. No good, it must be too weak because it only got some of the surface stuff off and now dirt spots are all over the head. I was thinking CLR for the head. And those bolts that were not galvanized.
Old 04-28-2007 | 03:04 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

I use GUNK degreaser and a toothbrush, then damp rags, dry rags, polish, etc. You have to brush or rub crap to get it to come off. Spray on, spray off doesn't work. Lot of tedious work. Get a warm day..some music..some refreshments...and have at it. Then, of course, you'll want to plate things, get colored wires, etc. A couple of the guys posting here have an engine bay that's unbelieveable.

Harvey
Old 04-28-2007 | 03:27 PM
Greimann
Advanced

I would start with common degreasers like Simple Green or Superclean. That is for general engine bay degreasing. Old tooth brushes and some patience do wonders. Use water spray from the hose sparingly and don't shoot it down into the electrics too hard. Use compressed air to blow the residual water out of the nooks and crannies.

Be careful with CLR, it is an acid product and will eat the plating off of bolts and etch metal. It will brighten aluminum, but use it dilute and test spots so you know how it is going to work. Rinse throughly. If you are unsure, stick with regular automotive products.

Another trick is to spray tire dressing all over everything. The hoses, wires, block, everything. It displaces water and makes the bay look great.

After you do some engine cleaning, drive the car up to full temperature so the engine heat can evaporate out the water.
Old 04-29-2007 | 02:50 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

After I posted I read an article on engine bay cleaning on Pelican. They also recommended GUNK but they also used WD-40. I'll probably pickup some GUNK and try again on Wed. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 04-29-2007 | 10:04 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

My wife hates the smell of GUNK. There are some GUNK clones but I don't remember what they are since I don't use them.

Hx2
Old 04-30-2007 | 05:34 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

WD40 is amazing stuff.
We go through GALLONS of the stuff when cleaning my son's kart after each race.
Some WD40, rags, brushes and some natural citrus orange spray cleaner and you're on your way.

Quick Reply: Cleanin your engine bay