Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Quiet tires...we ain't gonna find them..

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007 | 09:11 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Quiet tires...we ain't gonna find them..

I've tried many of the "performance tires" on my fun cars and I've yet to find one that really runs quiet (as compared to my wife's Camry anyway). I think part of this is the stiffer sidewalls required of the higher speed rated tires. Maybe it's a lack of sound deadner? I went from S03s on my 968 to Goodyear F1s and they defintely are quieter...but I gave up some performance for the smoother ride.

Why do I want quiet? To listen to the radio, listen to the beautiful sound of my B&B mufflers.

I'm about to buy a new set of tires for the Audi TT turbo and my first preference is QUIET! Performance is second because, compared to the 968, the Audi TT is not really much of a performance car.

Harvey
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2007 | 04:29 PM
biotechee
Racer

Harvey-

I have S03's on my 968. They will need to be changed in a year or so. I just put new tires on my Jetta and got General Exclaim UHP's. I have a 2004 Jetta GLI with VR6 engine and 6spd tranny. Doesn't quite live up to the 968 in performance (certainly not in cornering and braking), but it's not that bad of a slouch. Anyway- the UHP's are currently the highest rated tire in their category on TireRack. My car has 17's which happen to be the same size as the fronts on my 968. I got all four tires for $339 with another $100 for mounting and balancing at a TireRack affiliated installer locally.

I suggest you look these tires up if you want a low cost performance tire with excellent traction and treadwear ratings. So far (about 1000miles), I am very happy with my decision so far. They are extremely quiet, handle just fine for a daily driver, and look aggressive enough.

Three bad things: They are directional, so on the 968, it would be a pain to rotate them and get the full mileage from them. You'd have to remove and remount. They are strictly fair weather tires- no snow or ice of course! They do handle very well in the rain though. TireRack moves these tires quickly. I waited nearly three weeks to get them as they keep depleting stock so quickly.

Given the ratings, feedback, and price (probably close to half what the F1's or similar tire would have cost me with a better warranty!!!), I couldn't pass them up.

Note these are my opinions and findings, your results may vary!!!
Old 04-19-2007 | 07:46 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Biotechee,

I'll check them out.

Harvey
Old 04-19-2007 | 09:37 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

I've been using Kumhos Supra's but it just went out of production. Switched to Kumho Escta ASX all season and the kick but. Grip on water is great. Havn't auto-x them yet but there is one comming up soon so I will see how well they do.
Old 04-24-2007 | 11:27 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quiet tires may require hard rubber, 16" wheels, and the narrowest rubber we can find...and small gaps between tread pattern....? Hard to find for 968s and I suspect we'd give up all season, hi performance ratings, etc.

H2
Old 04-24-2007 | 11:28 AM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

I can't hear my tires over the engine noise anyway.
Old 04-24-2007 | 03:39 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lord_Galva
I can't hear my tires over the engine noise anyway.
That's why I installed a B&B muffler on my 968....and to get rid of the "sewing machine" sound of the stock engine/muffler system. I like to HEAR my engine. Helps me with my shifting.

Harvey

Quick Reply: Quiet tires...we ain't gonna find them..