Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Epilog (was: Links for ProMAX 968 Prods in USD)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 02:54 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Dave: You are assuming that I have any knowledge or interest in things that happened prior - I don't. As a neutral bystander though I can see why John took the action he did and it has nothing to do with choosing one vendor over another or the results of chip tests. It has to do with maintaining civility in the forums. Perhaps "bashing" isn't the right word but harrasment shouldn't be allowed either and I can understand why.

You are right in that the forum is a place for the exchange of information and ideas and as such if you have had a great experience with a different product I'm sure you are more than free to start your own thread about it - so long as you don't reference a competitors product in a derogatory way while doing so. But don't expect you would be allowed to go onto someone elses thread and start slinging mud. All of the forums have open discussions of things that have been tried and the results that were achieved. Just look at the Speedforce Racing stuff that guys have talked about in the 951 forum for example. There was reference and if I remember right a link to an article on the results as published in a magazine. Nobody brought it up as being wrong because nobody had a hidden agenda. Nobody was promoting a competitive product and nobody was sponsored by a competitive product. Or at least if they were they didn't see fit to nit pick for the sake of harrasing someone.

On another note, how is it ridiculous for the owner of a website to ask people to pay for the privalidge of putting their products for sale on his website? Do you think John "owes" any of us anything? I'm quite frankly astounded by the fact you seem not to recognize that if anything we owe John for giving us a place to go. That is why many of us have the nice "Rennlist Member" displayed under our names. We paid to keep the forums going and if John makes a good living from it that is great. Think of it this way - would RS Barn or any other vendor allow any of us to advertise our items for sale on their website for no charge? If so I have a full range of products that I was planning to put on E-bay but if they'll do it for free that's even better.

Sure there are things I don't agree with such as not allowing "kill" stories but overall I like things the way John has set them up and have no problem with following the rules he has set up because I believe they are in the best interest of keeping Rennlist a place I like to frequent. I guess if you don't understand what I'm getting at then we will just have to agree to disagree.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SDDAve, you're seven posts into your Rennlist experience-just about all have been to 'comment' on something you read. How about adding a little content rather than shouting out from the gallery at every opportunity?

Plus, flash had been banned here before-and John D was well aware of similar vendor shilling he had done earlier on behalf of 9 Magazine, while keeping the fact he had an editorial position on the magazine secret-until he was called out. Rennlist is by far the fairest and best internet resource for Porsches, and the way it's moderated is a significant part of its success.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:03 AM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh man can we lock this thread and let Andrew start a new one? This thing is way off topic even for the 968 community's usual crap.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:29 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,323 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedBump
Oh man can we lock this thread and let Andrew start a new one? This thing is way off topic even for the 968 community's usual crap.
+1

No one stands anything to gain from this thread going forward.

pete
Old 04-09-2007, 06:05 PM
SDDave
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm happy to let it go as long as someone will go back and change the title so that 'Epilogue' is spelled properly!

Dave
San Diego

Quick Reply: Epilog (was: Links for ProMAX 968 Prods in USD)