Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Epilog (was: Links for ProMAX 968 Prods in USD)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:21 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No, they are not the same. Yes, many of us have the Promax chip and love it.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:40 PM
SDDave
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't it,

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me?"

Just another curious question... hopefully it won't get me banned.

Dave
San Diego
Old 04-06-2007, 10:47 PM
Cervi
Intermediate

Damian,
In everyday driving, do you actually feel any difference ? How is the fuel consumption vs. factory chip ?
Only reason why I might take it into consideration is because I dearly miss the torque of my previous e36 M3. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've noticed improved hp, better torque, and better 'driveability'. The car seems to rev up faster, respond to throttle inputs better. I don't pay attention to gas consumption, as it's a weekend plaything for me.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:06 AM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW I have one, probably two Speed6 RacerX chips I'd be willing to sell at a sharp discount. PM if interested.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:04 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Originally Posted by Cervi
Aside of everything that has being said so far and to stay on topic, I'd like to know more about the ProMax chip. Has anyone tried it yet ? Does it have better (or worse) gains than the RS Barn chip ? I mean in real driving, not dyno, as I understand that every vehicle may react different to a certain mod than other. Thanks

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't realize that they are the same.
Hi,

You should find many that have tried the chip on here. We have sold well over 300 chips now (for the 968 alone).

I can't comment on the RS Barn chip, I'm not sure who developed theirs.

With the ProMAX chip you get a choice and a chip that is developed to suit your specific car (i.e. USA or ROW model). We have all types in stock and $145 is an inclusive price delivered to your door with 30 day money back guarantee if it does not work for you.

Have a great day!

Regards,
Andrew
Old 04-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Cervi
Intermediate

I guess they are not the same, sorry, my mistake. I will be purchasing one, but right now i'm just feeling the waters, still debating if i should keep it stock or not.
Thanks guys
Old 04-07-2007, 06:31 PM
SpeedBump
Happily Amused
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No matter which way you go when deciding on the chip you should see a great improvement in drivability throughout the bandwidth.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:22 PM
SDDave
Advanced

Wink

Could it be considered another innocent question if I were to ask why nobody else is on here 'peddling their wares', as it were?

If not, disregard...

Dave
San Diego
Old 04-08-2007, 08:11 AM
promax_motorsport
Racer

Hi Dave,

I can't answer that question, I can only guess as to why. I can tell you why we do...

The 968 is a very niche small market and ProMAX Motorsport is one of a very small number that make products for this model. Awareness of such products need to made via very targeted marketing and there is no better place than the worlds largest and best Porsche car forum! Rennlist

Also, this approach enables potential customers (and current customers ) to communicate directly with the vendor which should help them make an informed decision on any particular product.

Have a great day!

Regards,
Andrew
www.promaxmotorsport.com
Old 04-08-2007, 05:43 PM
SDDave
Advanced

Andrew-

I was asking somewhat of a rhetorical question that wasn't intended to bring you into the middle of it.

I was mainly just pondering on the fact that one vendor will come on and say "Come to this site, call this number now, buy our thing because it's the best (but don't ask us any questions!), this is the cost, this is our money-back guarantee, it'll do your laundry, cook you breakfast, make you the fastest thing on the road, and is made specifically for YOUR 968 because it's tuned for the 4,000 and some-odd cars sent to the US (not the definition of SPECIFIC FOR MY CAR in my book, but that's just me)".

What's more, this vendor will have a following, and that following is allowed to be VERY outspoken and EXTREMELY vocal in their support of THAT vendor.

Then on the other hand, a vendor who really has the best products, and really has spent time, money, and effort to ensure that they stay ahead of the game, is EXTREMELY low-key, never makes specific claims or says anything about anybody else (in fact, openly states that competitor products DO work), doesn't encourage people to buy anything, doesn't post websites and phone numbers, and is happy to back up any questions asked.

This vendor has one follower who is MILDLY outspoken (and has even said things like 'if you already have a competitor's product, it's not worth switching'), and that one follower gets banned from the site.

Does this make sense?

That was the oh-so-subtle question I was really pondering...

Dave
San Diego
Old 04-08-2007, 11:34 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Dave: I think at the heart of the issue is vendor bashing and the reasons for doing so. For example, if it was another vendor who posted with links to similar articles would the same questions have been asked? Was there an axe to grind perhaps? Is it up to the rennlist membership to stalk vendors that we may have a problem with that stems from previous arguments? The problem gets even murkier if we ourselves are sponsored by a competitors product. Too often you get vendor wars with people supporting either side that turn into nothing more than a flame fest the goal of which is to discredit one vendor in favor of another. There is a fine line between asking questions and openly abusing your privaledge to ask questions. I think that any vendor that has paid Rennlist as a site sponsor should have the right to promote their products and they should be allowed to do so without being harrassed by people who may have a competing product or may have bought a competitive product that they prefer. I would have no problems with RS Barn - who it is that I assume you are referring to as being a good vendor - being allowed the right to promote themselves if they were a paid sponsor. However, if they don't find value in being a paid sponsor then they don't have the right to promote their products here. I'm hoping they do sign on and tell us more about themselves as everything I have read is positive. And if they do nobody should have the right to stalk or bash them either. Don't you agree?

Last edited by SoloRacer; 04-09-2007 at 01:08 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:04 AM
SDDave
Advanced

Oh I absolutely love that approach...

"If you don't pay us money, then you're not allowed to make good products for our cars..."

How about the forum stepping up and doing the right thing by the CUSTOMER in screening a product that was released WELL before it should have been, and caused a lot of customers a lot of worries and concern (read: CEL hysteria)? Oh right... because the Forum was paid by that vendor. What's this I remember seeing someone throwing mud about "ethics".

That was the perfect response to my question SoloRacer... I honestly don't believe that anyone could have captured the idea of the 968 Forum better than that.

And while I'm on that- how come the 968 Board is the only one with these kinds of problems!? The rest of Rennlist seems to be populated by adults, with mature give-and-take on the issues particular to their models. I feel like I have to get my sister, an Elementary School teacher, to help explain this particular forum to me; she sees this kind of crap all day.

I need a drink <but no driving!>

Dave
San Diego
Old 04-09-2007, 01:01 AM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Dave: The 951 board went through some nasty flame wars in the past related to vendor bashing. I don't think that John D is required to screen vendors products any more than a magazine is required to screen all their advertisers products. The nice thing about a forum is it's an interactive entity. So in the case of CEL - which for the record I know nothing about - of course customers should be allowed to ask questions and raise concerns. However that doesn't mean that competing vendors or persons sponsored by competing vendors have the right actively bash them.

For the record the "If you don't pay us money, then you're not allowed to make good products for our cars..." is an inaccurate description of what is happening here. What is happening is "Everyone is free to make good products for our cars however if it is a financial benefit for you to use this website to promote the good products you make it is only right that you should pay the owners of the forum for that benefit" Seems like a fair arrangement to me.

Last edited by SoloRacer; 04-09-2007 at 01:38 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:49 AM
SDDave
Advanced

Well I guess I'm at a loss for how this Vendor was "bashed"...

The same individual who was accused of "bashing" for pointing out a possible issue with re-printing copyrighted material, has (from what I have read) specifically told people NUMEROUS TIMES that if they already have a competitor's product, that they shouldn't waste the time and money switching over to the Vendor he likes.

Again, I fail to see where "If you've already got something else, stick with it. But if you're starting from scratch, here are the results from an independant test that was done", constitutes an "ethics" problem.

It's a bitch when the truth comes out, but here you go:

Has anybody wrapped their brain around the fact that the Chip Shootout test was done before RS Barn even existed (and that the "bashed" vendor in question didn't win that test either, by the way)? And when RS Barn DID get up and running, they sent their chip to be tested BEFORE any relationship was formed with the tester!?

To simply state that the grass is green is no "bash" of people who like their grass brown. To simply state that Chip A gives X gain, and Chip B gives less than X (but still more than stock), is no "Bash" of Chip B.

Over and over again, the "Vendor bashers" have readily admitted that other products work. Never has it been said that another Vendor's product "doesn't work". Again- how does this constitute "bashing".

It looks to me like a few people have gotten some sand in their crotch and refused to believe that they might have a product in their car that is not the latest and greatest. Welcome to a Free Market economy- the Industry changes!!!!! Get over it or move to Mexico- we could use the immigration balance!

This forum SHOULD exist for the benefit of the 968 community and the furthering of ideas and products for our car. To say that you will not allow the members full access to the best possible ideas and best possible products for our cars because you haven't had your palm greased is simply ridiculous.

Dave
San Diego

Quick Reply: Epilog (was: Links for ProMAX 968 Prods in USD)