968 Forum 1992-1995

968 Cab Door Speakers Size?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:40 PM
jda407
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 968 Cab Door Speakers Size?

Crutchfield does not have a '95 968 Cab listed in their database. Can someone tell me what size the component speakers in the doors are? This will help me shop for my new stereo.

Thanks
Old 03-26-2007, 09:57 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I went and measured mine as I have them apart right now, best I can tell the larger one is 4" with a mounting depth of 2.3" the smaller one is 2.5" with a mounting depth of 1.8" and the tweeter is like a 1" with a 1" depth and the opening in the panel for the tweeter is 2.2"
this is from a coupe, but do you think the cab is different?
Hope that helps!
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2007, 10:55 PM
jda407
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think the cab door only has two. I might have to pull off the door panel and take a look. I really don't know. The car is at my warehouse, I will look tomorrow.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Darryl92Cab
Instructor

The number of speakers in the cab is based upon your option codes. The "hi-fi" option door panel that you have pictured is a 5 1/4" woofer and a 3" midrange. The tweeter is 3/4" but is an all-in-one enclosure/driver/mounting bracket and looks bigger than it actually is. You can get it out by removing the window switch. There are plenty of models that will be drop in replacements, but there is a cross-over and impedance issues to deal with. I was unable to find a 3" midrange and ended up sealing up that hole and using a 5 1/4" 2 way component based setup with it's own cross-over to replace all the factory Nokia stuff. It takes a little plastic fabrication but can be made to look completely factory. e-mail or PM for pics.

- Darryl
Old 04-12-2007, 01:44 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok, wait a sec- the later 968 "Hi-Fi" option did NOT have the 3" speaker enclosed underneath the armrest- IT had that speaker separated & it was mounted where the original 4x6's were- directly under the window switch at lower section of door. This allowed for better imaging...

The pictured plastic adapter frame w/both speakers above is from an earlier M490 car- has to be 968 b/c of the round tweeter, but otherwise, the Turbo S was exact same way, as was S2 w/M490. anyway, the Cab differs in that you have much more mounting depth up front, where the 4x6 would have been mounted. This is b/c the window does not slope forward in cabs- it has the little triangulation piece that squares off the window to allow for better convertible sealing, since the window past that point is frameless. Therefore, you should be able to install a 6.5" in that area w/out interfering w/the window & then just seal off the door panel behind the plastic adapter (under armrest) & ditch the plastic adapter altogether. The tweeter can be popped out of 968 grill & then can mount a regular tweeter there, thereby using factory tweeter grill over it...

I'm in the process of mounting 3-way components- a 6.5", 4", & tweeter- the 6.5 will go where the 4x6 went, the 4" will go in plastic adapter where the 5.25 went (built adapter to do this) & tweeter in stock location. This should be pretty cool, but has been sort of a PITFA & required very thin 6.5's since I have a coupe...

Here are pics of the latest 968 "Hi-fi" front speakers for both cab & coupe...
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: 968 Cab Door Speakers Size?