Default High mileage 968 on SF Craigslist- looks clean

$8000 for a 93 seems attractive too.
search for 968 on craigslist
Old 03-22-2007, 12:42 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I emailed that guy, and he emailed me back. I told him I could see it today, but I haven't heard back about that. I hope he hasn't sold it already!

968s typically go for around $11k, while I've seen some as high as 18k and some as low as 7k. $8000 is a low price for a 968 in general, but you gotta consider the mileage is extremely high and the colors aren't exaclty popular. IMHO the car is actually really girly. For someone able and willing to maintain the car's mechanical needs, and possibly invest more money when the time comes to do some rebuilding, then it's a good deal. If you like sky-blue metallic and gray leather, which I assume are rare.

I've been trying to find my mom a new 944 and she didn't get excited by anything I showed her but once I showed her this, she exploded. --> Girly car.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:10 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Update... I will be seeing the car this afternoon. I'll take my brother as ballast weight on the drive up to Napa.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:54 PM
Lord_Galva
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me know how it goes. I also chatted with him but I thought he sold it already.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:17 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So my brother and I went to see the car. It looks much better in person than it does in the photos, but there are also many flaws you see in person that the photos don't show. The front of the car is riddled with paint chips (bumper and hood), and there's a big scrape/scratch on the front right quarter. Left fender has a big ugly scratch all the way down to primer. The rear wing was severely faded (unevenly).

The car runs and rides fine but feels "loose" compared to my 968. The suspension is a little softer, the clutch is much softer, the shifter is less firm, and the engine stutters when returning to idle. It badly needs a tune-up. The engine revs OK from idle to redline, and has good power, but when you let go of the throttle and it comes back to idle, it starks choking and bogging. I'm sure it's just in need of TLC.

The interior was pretty worn out except for the seats and steering wheel (oddly). The armrest was shrinking and coming off, the carpets were a bit dirty, the headliner was shrinking and falling off near the back, the shift boot was shrinking, and the dash had cracks. The tops of the gray door panels were blackened from wear, and burning sunlight. I think most of those issues are ultimately reparable, but it will all take time.

The plusses were the nicely kept wheels, the clean trunk, and the engine didn't leak any oil. The owner's driveway was like white concrete.

Overall, pretty much what I expected. I think my mom liked it so we'll probably buy it.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:50 PM
ATL944
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I got my 944, my dad and I looked at a red 968 for $7,500 and it had around 90,000 miles. It wasnt a very good example, the paint was faded and the drivers seat was ripped. I am beginning to look at 968's again, but good one's are just so hard to come by.

Quick Reply: High mileage 968 on SF Craigslist- looks clean