Hot Start...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 04:44 PM
brianh
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hot Start...

Hi gang...

Never a problem with cold start... but often my 968 is reluctant to start after hot, say in the gas station. The engine typically splutters a bit and will generally start on 2nd attemp. It's done this since I bought the car at 20K miles, 4 years ago (now 110K). A minor irritation and just lived with it. Fast Forward to last week in the gas station and it just wouldn't start - 5, 6 attemps & nothing. Evereything appears to be engaging, start turns over etc. I had this awful feeling of embarrassment - blocking the pump, everyone staring etc. After a few minutes of just sitting there, thinking about pushing it, calling the AAA, I decided to have another go & presto, spluttered a bit - then started & away I go.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

brianh
94 968 coupe 110K miles.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:36 PM
amex859
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first thought would be the DME relay.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:51 PM
phil0618
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem and after exhaustive research on the forums the top three candidates were
1. DME relay
2. Ref sensors
3. Fuel pump regulator
Distant 4th coil
5th misc...

I replaced items 1, 3, 4 and have not had a problem since. I think it was actually the DME relay. Cheap and easy to replace. One thing you might do is to raise the hood if you have the problem again. Apparently heat is the enemy of a bad DME relay and when it cools back down it often comes back from the dead.

I've not had a recurrance since I fixed this nearly 2 years ago.

Good Luck,

Phil

Also – see this thread…

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthread.php
Old 02-12-2007, 11:05 AM
968turbos2
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it does not start, pop the hood and smack on the fuel pressure regulator, the bulbous thingy on the end of the fuel rail. If the car starts afterwards, replace it. Sometimes the valve gets stuck when hot (expands) and fuel pressure is too high for the injectors to open hence it does not start. When u smack on it and loosen the diaphram, pressure goes down and car starts.

Quick Reply: Hot Start...