Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

What brand of carpet was used in the 968 series cars?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2007, 09:12 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What brand of carpet was used in the 968 series cars?

Just as the topic indicates. I always thought it was sliverknit, but have been told it is feintuft. Which brand did the factory use? Thanks in advance. BTW does anyone know what was used in late model 951's as well?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:39 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Have been told by my upholstery guy it is not sliverknit, as was used in 911's, I think it is feintuft, certainly that is what

http://www.worlduph.com/SAMPLES/feintuft.htm

claim it is, though I have not seen any samples
Does not seem easy to find, there should be somwhere in Europe to find it.

Last edited by thingo; 02-11-2007 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:50 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Funny you should mention World Upholstery. That's exactly what they told me when I asked for a sample of Champagne carpet in sliverknit.

Here's my email correspondence with them

>DescriptionOfPartRequired:
>
>I'd like pricing and a sample of champagne carpeting for my 86, Porsche
>944 turbo, in sliverknit. Thank You.

We won't make this carpet set in sliverknit. The material is not correct.
We can make it in feintuft velour which is the closest to the original (and
much thicker than the sliverknit) for $694.

Herein lies the rub. I just found this and bought it:

View larger picture

Winning bid: US $499.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ended: Jan-04-07 16:01:07 PST
Shipping costs: US $22.00
UPS Ground
Service to United States
Ships to: United States
Item location: Santa Paula, California, United States
History: 3 bids
Winning bidder: bidbulldog( 60)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can also: Email to a friend | Sell one like this

Listing and payment details: HideShow
Starting time: Dec-28-06 16:01:07 PST
Starting bid: US $499.00
Payment methods: Visa/MasterCard,
Discover
See details

Meet the seller
Seller: worldupholstery( 592)
Member: since May-31-99 in United States

Read feedback comments
Ask seller a question
Add to Favorite Sellers
View seller's other items

Contact the seller instantly

Buy safely
1. Check the seller's reputation
Score: 592 | 99.0% Positive
Read feedback comments
2. Check how you're protected

If paying with a credit card, see your card issuer's terms

Description

World Upholstery manufactures authentic reproduction upholstery products for Alfa Romeo, BMW, Ferrari, Fiat, Jaguar, Miata, Mercedes, Porsche just to name a few.

Seat Kits
Carpet Sets & Floor Mats
Convertible Tops / Tonneau & Boot Covers
Headliners
Interior Panels
You are bidding on a new original style reproduction complete Leather Porsche front seat kit (2 cushion covers, 2 backrest covers). This kit will fit STANDARD (not sport) seats for 19851/2-1994 Porsche models 911, 944 & 968. Manufactured in the color # 901 Champagne Leather with perforated inserts. Follow this link to see color sample, http://www.worlduph.com/SAMPLES/porlea1.htm

Does not fit the sport seats

Part # 911-3702 Color # 901

So why in the World would they build beautiful Champagne seat kits, but not be even willing to sell me matching carpet in the same color of sliverknit?
It just makes no sense.
The quality of the seat covers was just fantastic, and shipped instantly, so I turned to them first. Now I'm having to consider the dye sold by www.Topoftheline.com.

Confused I am dammit!

And if it indeed WAS feintuft velour, which is very nice stuff, what color matches? Why would Porsche not contract a specificly named matching color?
Old 02-11-2007, 03:17 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

I'm still waiting on the samples, I talked to them on the phone, I wasn't sure if they were cautious or semi knowledgeable.
That price you quote for the feintuft is a lot less than what they quoted me for the rear carpet(the moulded piece) so they may be referring to the domestic carpet.
I am a little worried they say feintuft velour is the closest to the original.
Surely it is available somewhere?
Old 02-20-2007, 02:12 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thingo, did you get samples or here from World upholstery yet?
Old 02-20-2007, 05:57 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Hi ehall

I have got a sample, asked for cobalt blue, they just sent 5002, but turns out my car is blue(rather than cobalt blue).

The sample looks pretty close in colour to me, old carpet is never quite the same throughout the car.The backing is not the same as factory, I am going to see an expert tomorrow, to get his opinion,it looks like the same carpet to me. I want to remove my backseat and carpet that part, but I won't do it till I can get a factory standard finish.

Will report back
Old 02-22-2007, 07:20 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Talked to my 'expert' today, and yes the sample they sent me is FTV, it is about a shade out colour wise, he had his own sample which was the right colour.So my conclusion is that oem is FTV as World uph claim, their sample had a different backing, but if they could supply a moulded set it should look the same.
I have a distance problem with World Uph, I am trying to find a source closer to Germany.

Trending Topics

Old 02-22-2007, 12:45 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the report. Is it really cheaper to ship the carpet from Germany than from California? I wouldn't have thought so. An idea that I had was to buy the right quantity of carpet and have someone local cut and install it. I don't know how that might work in Australia, but it's a thought. Now that you know what the carpet brand is, perhaps there is an Australian company that can source and produce it for you cheaper?
I'm going to dye my carpet with a professional dye and sprayer. (rather than that spray can crap.) I tested the spray can type of paint/dye on an old door pocket and it just doesn't come out as well as a water based professional dye product would. I have a good friend who is a professional detailer, that used this stuff on an entire room in his house and two years later it still looks exactly as it should.
I'll report back once I have completed the project. Thanks for the info.
E
Old 02-22-2007, 07:07 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

I'm thinking of the mark up from Germany to US to Australia.
I can source the carpet here, close to a perfect match, but it would cost more than getting it from the US, that is how things work down here.
The carpet world supply is not moulded to shape, and the backing is not right for moulding.Was the quote they gave you OEM moulded pieces?they told me like $1000 just for the rear piece.
I'm looking for restoration quality,am still corresponding with world.
Actually I'm looking for an enthusiastic trimmer as well, another story...
Old 02-22-2007, 07:47 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Come to think of it, they didn't say if it was molded or not. That really wouldn't matter to me though. Once it's glued in it shouldn't matter, I wouldn't think. This is a pretty frustrating endeavor. It really shouldn't be this difficult. Other than distance and shipping, my options are no better than yours.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:31 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Gets worse now, got this today

Hi Rob,
The blue feintuft carpet we sent is the closest we have to the original
material. We don't carry the OEM molded pieces. Those are only available
from a Porsche dealer. We have no patterns for RHD.

Thank you,
Jamie

Love it when people change my name for me, I know the ftv is available in the correct colour, I saw it in person.
Agreed try another tactic.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:40 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

yep! time to ditch these guys. If your carpet is in good condition but just faded, email me some really good, upclose, no flash pics, and I'll see if it can be matched with the professional dye colors. I have the color book coming in today. This is stuff used by professional detailers. My friend even used it to die an entire, high traffic room in his house. It looks like it was always that color. This is what I'm doing with mine. Enough dye (this is NOT that spray can ****e!) to do the whole car is 18 bucks. I already have the color book (which was 22 stinking bucks) so I'd be happy to match up the colors for you. Let me know. You can see the product at www.topoftheline.com. scroll down the menu to carpet dyeing.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:19 PM
EEZATOY
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I'm curious to hear from anyone who's dyed their carpets - how it turned out/holding up over time...

I have always like the deviated carpet look and my Coupe is black with cashmere interior and I'm thinking about dying the carpet black rather than change it out for black in order to get the deviated look - so what/any thoughts on doing that???

Sam
Old 09-17-2009, 11:15 PM
300guy
Rennlist Member

I am also interested in doing this.

I've used the black due in the spray cans to convert tan to black and I have mixed feelings about the result. It looks black but when you rub the carpet you end up seeing single strands of tan fibers here and there.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:16 PM
300guy
Rennlist Member

I am also interested in doing this.

I've used the black due in the spray cans to convert tan to black and I have mixed feelings about the result. It looks black but when you rub the carpet you end up seeing single strands of tan fibers here and there.

Quick Reply: What brand of carpet was used in the 968 series cars?