Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

Pictures Of Grant's 968 Turbo at Performance Racing Industry Show 2006

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 11:39 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SFR manifold? Nice, I'm going with the 951 mani for my 3ltr. The engine bay is so beautiful, looks like it rolled out of the factory like that
Old 01-01-2007, 02:52 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah those are some nice pics of that car. If I may, have you ever dynoed the car and have any results you could share with us? I would love to see what that beautiful car can do, since it has tons of work done to it?

Old 01-01-2007, 12:34 PM
grants_968
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Yeah those are some nice pics of that car. If I may, have you ever dynoed the car and have any results you could share with us? I would love to see what that beautiful car can do, since it has tons of work done to it?

Thank you for your compliments
The below copied from 968.net http://65.61.16.109/forum/topic.asp?...91&whichpage=4

Flywheel torque + horsepower
using 13.6% loss = TCF shows 14%

- Left graph shows torque @ 3543 rpm
my HMR 968 turbo makes 131.8 ft/lbs more torque = 65% increase

- Right graph shows power 66.5% increase @ 7.88 psi (very efficient engine)

The boost I am working with is important to the interpretation of these numbers. I am still breaking in the engine so boost is very low.

Full resolution images of Dynapack charts can be downloaded as a ZIP file at

http://members.***.net/968/photos/grant968dyno.zip

More stats

Rear wheel torque + power

- True torque to gound
- to get "relative rear wheel torque" YOU MUST divide by Final Drive Ratio 4.197

- DynaPack reads true, generally lower number than Dynojet

Top line w/turbo, bottom line stock before engine conversion

Grant
Old 01-01-2007, 04:20 PM
grants_968
Racer

Originally Posted by White968
Hopefully Grant doesn't mind. Sorry nothing from the interior ...
Thank you, Mark.

I have kept the interior near factory stock. Whenever possible, I wanted my modifications to have a look that could have come from the "factory." So there is really nothing visually out of the ordinary that one will see in the interior.

http://members.***.net/968/photos2006/inte4.jpg

I did replace the stock radio head unit with an Alpine

and then of course added some amps in the right rear well under the carpet

and an 8" subwoofer in the LEFT rear well under the carpet

Grant

Last edited by grants_968; 01-01-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:32 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Very, very beautiful. That's why I love to see interior shots on highly modded cars...the interiors are usually like the day they left the factory and in perfect shape. Even after all this time the interior design is still way up there in my book. Everything the driver needs, nothing he doesn't.

Well done indeed.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:32 AM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Everytime i see that car it is awesome. Nice to see it all back together. I'd like to see it in person here in town before I finally get out of here.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:39 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Grant: You have a gorgeous/stealth looking 968T, wow! And it is in mint condition too! How many miles on that thing? I assume this is a weekend only car too? How long did it take to do the build? Do you have a spec sheet or a web site on the car? I went and clicked on your profile, which listed a web site, but it came up blank. How many of these cars has HMR built, do you know? Any idea of what projected RWHP & TQ you can make on modest boost and pump gas?

Cheers, for it's a beautiful car!

Old 01-02-2007, 09:45 AM
grants_968
Racer

Grant: ... How many miles on that thing? I assume this is a weekend only car too? How long did it take to do the build? Do you have a spec sheet or a web site on the car? .. what projected RWHP ...

RolexNJ

My 968 has not and will not be a garage queen. I purchased it from Brumos in Jacksonville in 1994. I traded in my 1985.5 944 which I had purchased new and had put 125,000 miles on the odometer. By 2003 my 968 had about 100K miles. Always garaged and correctly maintained.

I met Jason Lee while he was a graduate student at UF. We kept in touch after he left for Tampa to start HMR. I visited HMR, and was very impressed by what they had accomplished, and by their vision of where they (Jason and Jason) were going to take HMR. In 2003 with 100k miles, I was thinking sell the 968, or renovate / restore. After assessing my wants and needs, and checking out the market for alternatives, I decided to keep the 968 and asked HMR to bring my 968 up to the best of contemporary standards. In December 2003 I handed over my 968 to HMR.

HMR designed and fabricated many new and improved parts for my 968, some of which they have brought to market. The highly regarded HMR radiator is one example. Another example is the HMR exhaust (see photo below). My 968 has a lot of new HMR technology and design.

Because my 968 turbo conversion was #1 for HMR, it was 2.5 years to complete all the work. Good design takes time, and the work was done right. Shortly after my build was completed, HMR completed another, and will soon deliver a third (a red 968 turbo). I believe engine work is underway on an additional three 968 turbos. With design and fabrication of many of their unique parts completed, throughput will naturally increase.

I will let you know more about HP gains when the engine has some more miles.

Grant
Old 01-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Wow, great story behind the car!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:37 PM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great story.. but you have to have SOME idea of what power your making/expect.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:54 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by grants_968
RolexNJ

HMR designed and fabricated many new and improved parts for my 968, some of which they have brought to market. The highly regarded HMR radiator is one example. Another example is the HMR exhaust (see photo below). My 968 has a lot of new HMR technology and design. Because my 968 turbo conversion was #1 for HMR, it was 2.5 years to complete all the work. Good design takes time, and the work was done right. Shortly after my build was completed, HMR completed another, and will soon deliver a third (a red 968 turbo). I believe engine work is underway on an additional three 968 turbos. With design and fabrication of many of their unique parts completed, throughput will naturally increase.
Trust me my friend, you have absolutely no idea how much I can relate to a 3.0L project car. My first one was with Lindsey Racing, as I'm sure you heard of. This is my second one, so I know a ton of what's involved with project management, fabrication, trial/error or mods, and time frames.

Anyway, that exhaust they offer, is that a full 4 inch system, or is it a "graduated" one, that goes from 3, to 3.5, to 4? Have you monitored or tested any variables by themselves? Notice any temps drops with that rad? Which exact model is that, the .475 one? You didn't mention having a web site as I said, nor a spec sheet too. Do you for the build-out? That said, some quick questions if you don't mind sharing. Did you have any lightened internals? What is your CR? Headwork? When its broken in, what is the range or PSI you plan to run either on pump or race?

Old 01-03-2007, 07:59 AM
grants_968
Racer

Anyway, that exhaust they offer, is that a full 4 inch system, or is it a "graduated" one, that goes from 3, to 3.5, to 4? Have you monitored or tested any variables by themselves?

Jason Lee at Heritage Motorcar Research is the one to call. He did the design and fabrication of the exhaust. My input was to tell Jason what I wanted to achieve, what type of driving I would be doing, and also in the case of the exhaust, what I wanted it to sound like.

Jason has the most well equipped machine shop I have seen. Among his myriad of machines is an exhaust flow meter. So exhaust can be fabricated and checked for optimum back pressure and flow on the bench, and calibrated on the engine with dynapack attached.

This exhaust is custom made to match my engine set up, and my performance and aesthetic objectives. For more, you will need to contact Heritage.

Notice any temps drops with that rad?
I was concerned about temps when I was making the decision to go or not to go with a turbo. While I had never had any radiator problems, or cooling issues in my 100K miles of driving, the past was no reliable indicator looking forward with a much more powerful engine. And my radiator had 100K miles on it. There are a myriad of issues with the stock radiator that I did not want to deal with.

Jason met the challenge, designed a new radiator, and had a friend of his that fabricates F1 race car radiators do the actual build from his mockup.

Since driving the finished turbo conversion, I have not seen anything except flat temps in the right range. I had a before and after photo of the radiator on my web site and posted here or at 968.net I will look around for it and repost.

Did you have any lightened internals? What is your CR? Headwork?

The engine was blueprinted. lightweight flywheel, many parts designed and fabricated improving on the original Porsche design. There was a lot of headwork. I will not be writing more on that because that is Jason Lee's proprietary technology, and up to him to reveal or not. He does have some parts listed at his web site. The turbo is just "icing on the cake" for improved engine performance. Having a turbo is great. I love it when it kicks in. But a lower cost alternative for someone needing an engine rebuild and wanting much greater performance than the stock 968 can offer is to have Heritage repeat all that was done on my 968 without the turbo.

Grant
Old 01-03-2007, 10:29 AM
grants_968
Racer

Here is the promised comparison photo. Before, prototype, and production unit.

Grant
Old 01-12-2007, 11:57 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

That car is sooo nice. Congrats!
Old 01-12-2007, 02:16 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for sharing what you did Grant, the car truly is stealth and gorgeous looking. If you ever crank up the boost and hit the dyno again, please let us know.

Best wishes!

Quick Reply: Pictures Of Grant's 968 Turbo at Performance Racing Industry Show 2006