Pristine 968 Porsche Coupe For Sale, Low Miles $16K

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 04:25 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Pristine 968 Porsche Coupe For Sale, Low Miles $16K

I WAS asking $17,500 for this low miles, near pristine and absolutely excellent mechanical shape coupe. Additional more detailed fotos available on request. However, I've now identified a 928GT that I wish to buy and have lowered my asking price to $16,000. My enthusiasm to buy the 928 can be your entry into a great 968. It has 72,200 original miles.

There aren't many 6-speed 968 Coupes in better shape than this one (I'm an **** perfectionist owner) I have three sports cars and want to buy a 928GT...my wife says I have to sell something to make room. I'm not desparate to sell because I don't think I could ever replace this car for near this price. Great car but I have the hots for a GT V-8.

This car is great and I'd be confident to drive it anywhere. I drove in from Georgia to Idaho when I bought it and have refreshed many of the wear parts since then. No tears or unusual wear on the interior. Leather seats. CD player/radio is Porsche from Boxster (I have the original radio also but no code). Also has new B&B muffler cost $700 plus. And I have the original exhaust great shape exhaust, new fuel pump, new gas filter, tool kit (missing air pump), spare, no rust, doesn't leak, no cracks in glass, no cracks in dash, no wreck damage, new coil, plugs, sensor, tires, battery, racer X chip, intake box enhancement, powerful 3.0 liter motor, etc. etc. I'm **** about my cars. Also I should still have recent fotos showing perfect cams, cam chain, tensioner pads. Great leakdown numbers and compression, new TB, Water Pump, ALL new rollers, new tensioner, new fluids, etc. Does it have LSD? I don't know. It's not on the option list but it seems to perform like it might. I'm waiting for an icy day to try it out and see for sure.

The only reason I'm even considering selling is that I want a much newer 928 than what I have (and I want to keep my pristine older one too) and my wife says I gotta move something out before I move another car in. I'm about halfway to saving for a new 928 and when I get enough saved, I'll buy the GT and keep the 968 anyway, even if I have to move it out of the garage onto the street. Not selling it just slows down my program...but I really should keep the 968 since it's a reliable car and the 928s really don't have the same level of reliability. It's an engineering thing with the 928 (7 foot long Timing belt!). The 968 is much better engineered I think.

This car sold new in PA, was purchased by a woman, who kept it a long time, then traded in at a Bently Dealership, who didn't really want it, who traded it to a Porsche dealer, who put it on the auction block, and it went to Atlanta, GA. I bought it, flew back and drove it 3,000 miles to Idaho (long scenic route) and proceeded to make it near perfect replacing stuff that could go wrong on a long trip whether it needed it or not (peace of mind). I have three sports cars and drive this one about once a week. It's so nice I don't want to get door dings so I use my '02 Audi TT for my daily driver (it has plenty of dings!).

AC works, lights work, climate control works, etc. etc. rear window defogger doesn't work. Has new vinyl clear covers over front lights. I have a list of parts replaced new and receipts. I wanted it to be a car I could trust to drive anywhere, and I do. Let me know if you’re interested.

Harvey
Attached Images       
Old 11-12-2006, 01:05 PM
Stephenwz968
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with the sale, Harvey!

Steve
Old 11-13-2006, 12:08 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually I'm hoping NOT to sell my 968. My wife insists that I sell something to make room. However, my plan is this...I will buy another, newer 928 when the right car comes along...soon I hope..I've looked a two and will see another tomorrow (I have a loan secured already so am ready to buy) and when I get the new 928 and confirm that it's better than the one I already have (I want airbags, bigger brakes, and more HP) then I will sell my '85 928 to pay off the loan. If the 968 doesn't sell first, that's OK since it's near perfect and I've put a lot of $$ in PM to make it even more reliable. So, in the best case, I'd keep the 968 and sell the '85S. It's all in the timing. I'd rather keep the 968 but don't dare sell my '85 until I know I've got a better replacement. But either way, I'll need to pay the loan off. I'm **** about the condition of my cars and will (again) be very picky about what I buy. I spent more than $1000 on PPIs just in checking out various 968s before I bought this one. It's a great deal for someone wanting a really reliable and well kept 968. I'm hoping no one buys it. Balancing marriage and cars sometimes is taxing.

Thanks,

Harvey
Old 11-20-2006, 01:18 PM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

One thing about this car is that there were TWO PPI's done before I bought it and I inspected it myself...and I had an area 968 owner look it over before I flew back to pick the car up. I spent nearly a $1000 on PPIs on various 968s before buying this car. I do that on all the cars I buy and it's been the best investment I've ever made in any of the cars I've bought. Buy just ONE lemon and you'll know what I mean. And getting a Porsche that can eat you alive is really easy to do these days. Of the last half dozen cars I've looked at, it was pretty pathetic what they've needed. Clutch...TTube, belt job, trans work, steering rack, synchros, CV joints, previous wreck, paint, mildue inside due to water leaks, rear main leak, radiator leak...you name it, not to mention the obvious...brakes, misc. leaks, dash cracks starting, missing parts, jerry-rigged repairs, etc. I've found these on other cars...and the sellers "hadn't noticed." Price out any of those repairs against a PPI and see where that leaves you. That's why buying from someone on the list is usually better since, at least, you know they've probably been careful in the original purchase and taken good car of the car rather than just letting it go until the mechanic tells them of a looming big bill coming. 968s are great cars and this is one of them.

However, like really good 928s, good ones are not getting easier to find.

Harvey
Old 11-20-2006, 11:16 PM
AllenM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, I REALLY want your car. I would love to come up and drive it right back to Atlanta. Unfortunately I already have one almost exactly like it. 1992 coupe black/black, 6-speed, 56K miles. I love mine so much I want yours too, just as a spare. This is a GREAT deal for anyone looking. I paid $16K for mine which is ALMOST as nice as yours. If I could afford it (and had a place to put it) I would buy it without hesitating.
Don't sell it to just any shmo. Make sure it is going to a good home. It would be a shame to see that car get ragged out. Maybe you should just hold on to it for a while and then when I build my 2-car garage, you can sell it to me. Good luck w/ the 928 search/purchase.

-Allen
Old 11-21-2006, 12:04 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Allen,

Thanks for your comments. You're right about these being great cars. I have several items up for sale to help me cover the 928 purchase I have in mind...and once that's covered my 968 comes off the market or the price goes up to $18K or so...although it's still priced good at $18k I think. Some of the prices on the 928s like I'm interested in are starting to go up so it's a race. I think we'll see the 968 prices go up also. The 968 is a quality car, unique, and they didn't make a lot of them. Whereas I think the Boxster prices will continue to fall they made so many of them and the quality varies a lot. Plus the rag top maintenance isn't cheap. Also, you can do a lot of DIY on the 968 and it's much more difficult on the Boxster.

Harvey
Old 11-22-2006, 07:49 PM
bluedd
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice car. GL.

Quick Reply: Pristine 968 Porsche Coupe For Sale, Low Miles $16K