968 Forum 1992-1995

rs barn cams/headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 09:27 PM
zoxx2004
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rs barn cams/headers

anyone have a set of rs barn cams/headers.would like to hear what you think.Any dyno charts?
Old 10-29-2006, 02:32 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm anxious to see them as well.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:07 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Didn't John Etnier have before/after dyno's done?
Old 10-29-2006, 09:17 PM
whakiewes
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest thing about doing a modification like this is that its not easy to do a before/after comparo thats accurate. The time associated with removing and reinstalling headers/cams is more than one could do in one day, and dyno unless being done for that purpose only. Thus your readings will be off. Thats my biggest fault with comparing power numbers...I have lost up to 10whp because it was hotter outside than a previous dyno. On the same comparo, I at first lost power with the B&B triflo, but at a later date I gained power and torque...go figure. Looking at the OEM headers and knowing the specs on the 968 cams, the improvements will be huge. I would hope to see atleast 230-240whp out of this setup. Pete is active on this forum, so maybe he can chime in on results. I believe he is as well, but I am doing some work on flow benching the intake manifold to see if that might be a restriction with larger cams/forced induction. I am sure he will beat me to it as im booked full right now with school and work, but I would be curious to know.

Short version - after talking to Pete, and people that have worked with him I would expect nothing from the best with NA power from him. He focused all of his attention at this setup, and went through a ton of trial and error. If you have the dough to spend on this, then it would be worth it. The sound will be basier, more open from the one car I head with the headers, but a B&B exhaust. On the flip side, there may be other power alternatives on the market soon, so keep that in mind.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:10 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RS Barn
Tim,
A set of my cams and Headers are in a 924S with 924DP bodywork and full suspension . Very lightweight and fast. He participated in NNJR's Porscharama time trials. Thrilled with performance gains, cut 1.5sec a lap on North course (only a 1 minute track) Bad news he needs to upgrade clutch with new power.
When dyno testing I R&R'ds cams in 2 hrs. Base testing at 10am, cams at lunchtime.
Cams add as much power or more than Chip,Air Box-filter, Header mod.
Pete
What octane fuel do you have to run with the cams?

I've got the clutch issue covered with my Spec Stage II.

Last edited by Lemming; 10-30-2006 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:33 PM
John Etnier
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't hang out on these boards much any more. I did NOT have before/after dyno runs done, however.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:31 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I have been dynoed several times on different dyno's. There is SAE correction that seems to keep the variables in check. My multiple runs were all within 2-3 hp of one another.

Mike
Old 10-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by John Etnier
I don't hang out on these boards much any more. I did NOT have before/after dyno runs done, however.
How about a "seat of the pants" evaluation? I'm assuming that you have the stage 3 chip, header and cams?
Old 11-29-2006, 09:39 AM
Vaino
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Pete,
The 924S with DP bodywork and a 968 motor had a great deal of suspension and moved from V710s to Goodyear Slicks. It bettered it's times over stock 924S suspension, and V710s. The car has more power, mostly on at higher RPMs. The owner really likes it, but is now looking for more low end grunt.

I too would greatly like to see the results you got with your Polar Silver, previously Stock 968 M030. Stock versus the final results with all the modifications (Head, cams, header, chip, etc....)
Old 12-12-2006, 12:45 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whakiewes
I am doing some work on flow benching the intake manifold to see if that might be a restriction with larger cams/forced induction. I am sure he will beat me to it as im booked full right now with school and work, but I would be curious to know.
I did a bunch of flowbench work and the stock cams can go right in the garbage. Also, the intake is kinda ok but, the throttle body is not so hot for forced induction. The heads can be improved too.

Quick Reply: rs barn cams/headers