968 Forum 1992-1995

Camshaft Pulley Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 05:29 PM
Allen Wiggs
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft Pulley Bolt

Which way does the camshaft pulley bolt loosen ?
Old 09-25-2006, 11:02 PM
TurboCab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Allen:
The camshaft pulley bolt loose counterclockwise.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:33 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Allen, if you are referring to the 12 point (triple square) bolt on the end of the exhaust camshaft I removed mine recently. I confirm it loosens counter clockwise. I tried with a wife then a heavier friend holding a adjustable wrench on the 6 sided washer behind the bolt while I used a ratchet to try to turn the bolt. Eventually I stripped the bolt. Then I used a (I believe) 3/8th drill bit and drilled it out. The drill bit fit perfectly inside the bolt once the 12 points were gone. The head of the bolt is shallow as the shaft is almost the same diameter as triple square opening. Once you have drilled through the head it should fall off or you can break it off with vice grips. I broke mine off but I think a little more drilling would have removed it. Once the head was off I was able to unscrew the rest of the bolt with my fingers.

I spent a lot of time and sprayed a lot of break free on that bolt. If I was doing it again I would order a new one and spend 5 minutes drilling the old one out.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Pulley Bolt