Notices
968 Forum 1992-1995

trying to learn some more about the 968

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 07:42 PM
saxman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bearing are commonly spun in turbo applications like this as a result of detonation from poor tuning... not really from the increased load of a properly tuned set up.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:48 PM
flash968
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wes - well, i don't think you are going to get 400hp at 10psi - at any rate, the temps and loads are going to be pretty high - watch out

sax - bearings get spun from friction - friction gets caused by oil failure - oil failure is caused by too large of a gap at the bearing - this is caused by pounding of the power stroke - more power means more pounding - detonation generally results in piston damage or valve damage, not normally bearing damage - you would have to grenade something pretty badly to get bearing damage from detonation, and frankly, at that point, you usually have a bent rod or two to worry about - i used to have quite the collection of dead parts from these kinds of projects - definitely found the limits of some engines the hard way - a whole lot of fun doing it though
Old 09-11-2006, 10:12 PM
whakiewes
Pro

I am fairly confident with an SC61 or GT35R, I will be close to 350whp/tq at 10psi with a .82 housing. I am fairly sure at 20psi I would be at or over 500whp with proper tuning. See what a lot of people miss is the power that is gained from proper tuning. Get a car that runs, and getting a car that is perfect are two different things. Being that I have a little knowledge in tuning, I won't let it drive off the dyno until the line is flat from 1000-7200rpms. Also keep in mind there is a lot more to a turbo setup than a lot of guys put in. Intercooler design, piping material, intake manifold design, exhaust manifold design, turbo design, exhaust design, MAP/MAF/Other methods of air flow metering and their benefits, etc... I don't mean to come off like everyone else is inferior, thats most definantly not the case. I have hands on experience with 951's, but little to none with 968's. Also keep in mind that we don't have a 1:1 gear ratio, so a 4th gear run is going to read high, and a 5th gear run will be low. I am just trying to prove that I can and WILL have a running turbo 968 for well less than people expect. I really think if I was in the market, I could get a 10psi, all stock, turbo kit out for around 6g's. Ready to run setup, using a chip. The problem is that I only care about me, so you guys don't get to benefit . In all seriousness if there are things I am missing, I would love to be enlightened before I get too deep.

Wes
Old 09-11-2006, 10:53 PM
flash968
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

speed on my man! have fun at the very least

6k for the parts of the turbo kit itself is actually about right - that's what a lot of kits cost - i just think you'll be in for about 2-3 times that before you are satisfied with the car - but we've definitely covered that one

again, have fun - i wish i still had my shop so i could do such a thing here
Old 09-12-2006, 12:12 AM
whakiewes
Pro

Maybe when my car is up and running, I will make you a kit so you can finally be satisfied . On the other hand, I would much rather have my car doing 300whp NA...but...I just don't think its going to happen like I want it to. I think I could get close with agressive cams, 8000rpms, stand alone, and like 12:1 compression. But when I priced out that ordeal, I was same/more than the turbo.

Wes

Quick Reply: trying to learn some more about the 968